BMW e36 turbo barra

Hi guys

I'm Kai and im from south Africa cape town!

I'm doing a Barra conversion into a BMW e36 with a manual 320d 6 speed gearbox and I'm at the point of making an adapter and custom flywheel !

I'll be using a upgraded 320d button clutch and reinforced pressure plate,now I'm trying to find out if anybody has done a similar conversion to get some help along the way if me and my mechanic are on the correct path because as you know not many people this side of the world has done a conversion like this and with a bmw gearbox. 

Many thanks and hoping for some replies

Kai

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

sounds like a big job :) good luck with it. I don't know of anybody who's done one into a BMW, so you might be pioneering your way ahead on your own a fair bit.

a stock flywheel should be fine, shouldn't it? or isn't there clearance for the stock flywheel and bellhousing in the transmission tunnel? if not, then yeah, you'll need to make adapters etc for the bellhousing and gearbox mount and a custom-length tailshaft etc.

We got the barra motors a year or so ago but all autos with flexplates!!!

The bmw gearbox bellhousing wont even fit over the flexplate so this week we will get the adapter and we going to use bmw starter,once we have this we can measure the distance for the flywheel etc!I think the flywheel is the main issue but I will update once we at that stage!

Thanks for the reply

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

all good mate... I'm no expert on transplants other than watching a bunch of other people do them, but there are plenty of people who may be able to help you along the way here :)

most of all we would love to see/hear any details you're willing to share :)

Ok so as we all know it's an amazing engine and we dont get the turbo barra here so doing some research and watching Australia YouTubers I thought why not do a na turbo barra on low boost!

So going to use a gt3582 turbo,valve springs upgrade,arp studs and gaskets,bigger injectors ,50mm wastegate  etc etc !!!

The plan is run about 8 9psi of boost and run half pump gas half e85 and make decent fun power!

Once I have this gearbox and engine mated I dont see any other issues!my guy has fitted a 1uz v8 into my e30 and looks Factory fitted!!!the sump will need fabrications but other than that it will fit!

Update!!!!

The barra and 320d box is mated with adpater plate😄 this week we making the custom flywheel and upgrading the clutch to button and reinforcing the pressure plate and that should hold upto 350kw and 700/800 nm

Trying to figure out how to post pics ,can I do it from my phone?