Wasgate flapper noise?

jas98

• Member For: 11y 8m 5d

Hi all. Replaced the actuator on my ba xr6t (stock tune etc)

I used a turbosmart 5psi replacement.

Ok so...old actuator (factory) was only letting abou 3pi max no matter what I done etc plus it has a nice rattle inside it now that its removed from car.

This new one is letting 5-6psi which is allllot better and feels heaps better...but have a problem.

When engines cold to warm and I go for a drive and boost builds ...it builds boost up to 5psi (just to 6 max) but after a few pulls and engine get hot its only hitting 3-4psi and makes this loud air gushing sounds that also has a rattly sound.....it sounds to me like the wasgate flapper is bounceing very fast. Its does not make this sound when building boost up to 3psi only when it starts to hit 3psi.

The turbosmart actuator requires it to be setup for pretension so im thinking I didnt tension it enough as I think I may have only did it 1mm not 2mm like they said to.

Does this sound like im on right track?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

get a replacement stock actuator as if the stock one was making 3psi maximum, then it was broken... so, once you've done that ensure it's opening correctly at 5-6psi on a compressor then put it on the car and ensure it makes the right amount of stock boost.

Ok...but why is this noise happening and only after couple of runs.....

I understand higher spring presure causeig overboost and a/f ratio issues but not this.

Factory spring preaaure is like 3-4psi. This ones 5psi.

I used to have a 8psi spring on it a few year ago which never ever did this noise it just overboosted when it hit 9psi.

Thanks. But I found the issue and its all good and sounds great now. Boost to 5psi 6 at most and no more.  

Turns out I must have had a mind blank but the dump pipe to turbo bolts were loose...only on was tight others loose. 

Tightened them up and all good now

• Like 1