Fg (Auto)transmission fluid recommendations

Raptor_Z

• Member For: 4y 4m 5d

Hi lads going to do the normal Transmission service on my Fg what are the recommendations for the tranny fluid apart from the genuine ATF 

can I use PENRITE OR CASTROL Tq?

anyone used these before and how much do I need to top up, plus what filter or gasket should I use?

cheers 😊

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2d

Any brand name filter and gasket should be fine, although have a think about installing a metal pan with a drain bung if your has the plastic pan.

I'm very happy with the Gulf Western Syn TS which lots of people on here have used. A 20L drum direct from GW is about $150.

If you are changing from the original Lifeguard fluid best to do a flush by filling, cycling through the gears and draining again a few times. Bit of a pain, but you'll get a much better result.

• Member For: 4y 4m 5d

Sorry guyz just a lil thing do I need to run the car in all gears while filling up the tranny oil and it should be 35C to 50C warm Or is it just for the full flush and refill?

By the way at the moment I am just topping it up 

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2d

The fluid expands as it warms up, so the fill hole is at the right height for 40 degrees. You need the car running and the trans at that temp to get the level right, regardless of whether you are flushing or just topping up.

Cycling through the gears is useful when flushing, as it help mix up the old and new fluid and remove a greater percentage of the old fluid each time you drain.

Even for a top up it's not a bad idea, as fluid drains out if the various mechanicals so making sure it is fully circulated when setting the level is good, but not critical.