Problem with new kings leafs

Lithfkn

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 1m 16d

Not the greatest pics from this angle but you can make out the profile of the leaves.

If you look closely at the second pic you can see the rebound leaf on top of the pack and where it stops just after the shackle clamp plate.

After fitting the rebound leaf I was out of U-bolt length* so I removed the baby leaf right on the bottom, don't think it makes a heap of difference.

*seems BS as there's plenty of thread hanging out but those poly bushes compress to the sh*thouse, if I clamped the top and bottom plates with a big arse G-clamp I may be able to fit the small leaf back on.

The mods on the bottom plates are angles I welded on to stop the warping when tightening U-bolts for the millionth time, there isn't a lot of strength on the inner edge when standard and decent torque distorts them as you can see in OP's pics above.

421zdKRzvoxaq-EyOaollFiq1kyHrLMG8sMgI27A

WMVmg9kOMb-a85_Ru_4MUMgv9yoaUI7gElDng_11

Edited by camo86T
  • Like 3

• Member For: 4y 8m 8d

Thanks legend. Yours definitely look more "together" if that makes sense and with better camber. Probably a product of that rebound leaf.

Did you use those black crush plate washers when you got the leafs? I didn't install them in mine, wasn't even sure where to put them exactly! Did you put grease between the poly pads and leafs?

Sorry for bugging you mate, just trying to work out what is wrong with mine as it's looking pretty similar to yours!

On 27/02/2020 at 9:50 PM, Admin (as if) said:

yer ive got the same king leafs, and took a photo and sent to Jeturbo years ago as I was worried the same as you.

kings said its normal. 

does look funky but oh well. 

Everyone is saying it's normal haha It's just the creaking/clunking I can't get my head around!

On 27/02/2020 at 10:25 PM, k31th said:

you've got to share stuff on this forum :) not just ask advise off one person all the time haha

Agreed. I lurk too much, have for years until I bought one and only think to post when it's pi$$ing me off haha

• 2 weeks later...

So I got Suspension City to have a good look over it and identified there wasn't enough grease in the front eye bushes. They slapped some in and off she went. Awesome blokes to deal with too, so helpful and quick. Did it on the spot. They also mentioned that the springs winding up like that were normal! Bugger me.

I'm getting the odd knock here and there when slow turning. Buggered if I know what it is!

Thanks all for the help!

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

might be your exhaust hitting your suspension or something, then? hard to guess at the back of a ute as there's not much really to "bump" about

it comes from the rear left predominantly , might be just a quirk of the car, it's been happening for the whole 8 months since I bought it. Naturally I didn't notice it when I test drove it as I had rose tinted glasses from that turbo whistle 😂

• 1 month later...

Update on this. Turned out to be the gears and pins inside the LSD being super slack, there was a tonne of play. The clutches were surprisingly good. New unit in and all good now, not one clunk/knock in the back and feels super tight. Shout out to Mobile Diff Repairs in Dandenong.

Do have a knock though putting the car into reverse and changing from 1st to 2nd, sometimes 2nd to 3rd. Have a feeling the lowered leafs have thrown out the pinion angle or tailshaft making the centre bearing bump because of the flex in the shaft. 

What have you guys done to fix this?