Boost pressure lower than it should be

El Andrew

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

Ah yes of course, I was getting confused with connecting the compressor cover directly to the wastegate.

Hmmmm so I guess I'm maybe looking at either an exhaust issue or a boost leak.

I've swapped the factory BOV valve in for the drive to work tomorrow - probably done enough driving around the neighbourhood like a knob for one night.

• Like 1

• Gold Donating Members

No change with factory BOV so wasn't that. Rechecked for loose intercooler pipes and everything is perfect.

Removed the cat and I can see through it, so it isn't that so am a bit stumped.

Could it be a collapsed muffler? Have always thought the exhaust sounds pretty spluttery.

Might investigate if the wastegate is stuck open too. I've got a good exhaust guy so will have a chat to him too.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

when you're looking through the cat, does it look like a honeycomb/lattice all the way through? or does it look like a big open space?

• Gold Donating Members

Just thought to check the air filter. Was pretty filthy which I'm putting down to the weeks of smoke we had here. Only cleaned it 5k ago. Had a new Ryco paper filter lying around so chucked it in.

Didn't make a difference.

Did happen to be on a private road where I got stuck at a series of red lights, so could do some decent pulls. Will spike to10 psi and then drop as the revs rise. Exhaust actually sounded quite bad - not sure if that is the issue or just a symptom so will definitely get that checked next.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

does still sound like a boost leak, then... e.g. it's sealing pretty well until the 9-10psi mark then it blows the opening open a little more and most of your boost leaks out as you go into higher revs.

• Gold Donating Members

Went to the exhaust shop today and exhaust is fine. Couldn't find any other issues with the car and thinks there is a good chance the wastegate is cracked. Not sure if that means the flap or the turbine housing around it.

Is going back next week so he can pull the dump off and have a look.