Did I buy a lemon?

SuperTrev

• Member For: 4y 1m 15d

Good news! The coils turned up early and I put them in. It seems as though the surge problem has been fixed. Although it did happen again on my first test, it hasn't happened again. I'll test it everyday just to make sure it doesn't come back. lol

The trailing arms will be the next fix on my car. I'll be replacing the whole arm on both sides and not just replacing the bushes,  correct? Seems like an easy enough task.

Thanks for the help guys.

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

Yep, replacing the arm is pretty easy. Main trick is lining up the bolts when you install the new arm. Use a jack under the rear suspension to help if you are doing this without a hoist. Can take a bit of patience but not too hard.

• Like 1

Ok, the surge problem isn't completely fixed. It comes back every now and then. Any idea's of what else might be causing it? The new coils have helped out a lot though. Also, is there a particular brand of trailing arms that are better than the rest? There are quite a few out there and some look different than the stock ones. I wasn't sure what ones to get so I spent money elsewhere. 

My latest upgrade over the weekend was a heavy duty tow pack. I'm not gonna tow anything really heavy other than a few motorbikes but it does look better and I can remove the hitch if I need to. It was only a couple hundred $$ extra than the lower rated tow pack. I also splurged on a cold air intake and battery relocation. Hopefully that will arrive sometime this week so I've got so something to do over the weekend. 😎👍

• 2 years later...

It's been pretty quiet on this site lately so I'll keep the conversation going about my lemon.  First answer is No, I haven't set fire to it.  I want to keep it.  I'll work through the problems and go from there.  I still have surge problems so I think I'll try and put a bigger fuel pump in it and see how that goes. I've think I've tried everything else. I still have the shudder problem that sounds like axle tramp. I have replaced all of the bushes (including trailing arms) and have recently changed the diff centre and tail shaft. The guy who did my diff said that the centre bush has gone soft and to take it back to whoever did it and get them to fix it.  That will happen later this week. 

My new query for you guys is - when I put it into 1st or reverse to start moving, there is a clunk at the back of the car. Any ideas? Is it bush related? Is this common in other manual transmission cars?

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 8d

Even new genuine bush's will axle tramp in a manual.

Need the hardest, side bushes you can fit, then a fairly hard centre bush.

Cat600 side bushes and a superpro centre is the best option.

Trailing arms doesn't really matter

I will check out what bushes were put in and ask at the suspension place for their recommendations too. I am willing to try almost anything but I'd rather find somebody who can pinpoint the problem quicker than most.

Would coilovers help the situation at all?

Ok, latest update is all of the new bushes that they put in are rooted. They all need to be replaced. Good thing they were the really good ones that come with a lifetime warranty. Even they couldn't explain it. They said its the first time they've seen this happen with those fancy bushes.

They asked if I thrash my car or have mega horsepower.... both answers are definite NO's. 

They said it could be the gearbox mounts twisting the driveline or the tailshaft. I've just fixed the tailshaft so it can't be that. I'll mention to them the Cat600 side bushes and twin hat centre bush when they are ordering the new ones for me and see what they recommend. Otherwise I'll be back to get new bushes in another 18 months. 

How hard is to replace the gearbox and engine mounts? Is that something that can be done in the driveway or does it need to go to somebody who really knows what they're doing?  🤔

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Easy enough to do in the driveway. Handy to have an engine support brace but can be done with a jack.

Should only be a few hundred in labour from a workshop, so not the end of the world there.