Did I buy a lemon?

SuperTrev

• Member For: 4y 1m 15d

G'day gang. So last year I had to get a new car because the last one got hit from behind and written off. It was a good car for over 14 years. I was looking at a newer car for a few years and decided an XR6T or an XR8 will do just fine. Mustangs were a little out of my price range. I ended up spending 27k on a 2014 manual XR6T with only 58k on the clock. Driving it home I noticed a few problems which I took back to the dealer and over a month or so, those problems were sorted. One of those problems being a steering wheel that would move up, down, in, out, all over the place. The steering column was broken and needed replacing.

Now after owning it for 9 months or so, I have a list of problems. Some seem more common than others going by what I've read on this site.  I'll list the main ones here -

Axle tramp - the rear end shudders when it breaks traction. I've taken it to a suspension place at Penrith and they replaced the centre diff bush and 2 other bushes they said needed to happen. They also swapped the shocks but it still sounds and feels horrible when it breaks traction.

The drivers seat has a broken lumbar support - this is literally a pain in the ass if I have to drive for more than 2 hours at a time.

Knocking in the rear end when turning sharp left - I only hear this at slow speeds and I've read elsewhere on this site that it's a problem with the shock itself and can be fixed by grinding 3 spots down a little bit. I'll investigate further when it bothers me too much but for now I have more annoying problems. 

The acceleration isn't smooth - this is the one that gets me frustrated the most. As I'm accelerating, it feels as though it's surging. To best describe what's going on,  it's like I'm going from 2 to 3000 revs and then I pause for half a second at 3000 revs, then 3 to 4 and another pause, 4 to 5 and another pause, etc...   I've tightened all clamps.  Checked for cracks and replaced hoses where needed. Changed spark plugs. Checked and cleaned injectors. I've bought a fuel filter and I'll replace it tomorrow when I get some spare time.

Any idea's on what this could be? Has anybody experienced the same thing? Any help with any of my problems will be appreciated.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

plugs or coils for the surging

knocking in the rear and the axle tramp is likely your trailing arm(s)

seat lumbar support is just something that happens depending on the previous owner etc and can be repaired with enough effort.

Ok then, I'll pull the plugs out and check the gaps tomorrow. If that doesn't fix it, I'll try coils. If that doesn't work, I'll ask for more advice. Thanks fellas.

Checked the plug gaps, no change. Didn't have time to get coils. Maybe tomorrow after work? Any specific brand? Should I replace all 6 or just try and find the faulty one? Or 2? Or 3?

As I want to add a little more power over time, will I need different coils in the future and if so, should I get them now or hold off?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

OEM coils only.

you can try replacing one at a time to see if the symptoms move around, but this is a PITA procedure and you might deem it better off to just buy all 6 and try them.

no, you don't need to get different coils in future as OEM are good enough up to a quite high power figure.

I just bought a set of OEM coils off ebay. They turn up in a week. Fingers crossed that they are the answer to my surge problem.

I'll update you all once they are in. 😎

Edited by SuperTrev

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 3d

old mans BA xt has surging/skipping issues, plugs were replaced last year, he did fuel filter, then I said do the coil packs.

after harassing Jeturbo for advise I got some Bosch ones to try cheap, couldn't get VDO and didnt bother with oem on a XT. but the coil packs fixed the problem.

hes happy. 

Edited by Admin (as if)