Overboost

Slowxr6t

• Member For: 9y 9m 20d
18 hours ago, Admin (as if) said:

NZ doesnt have any good tuners

Not true. David at Tune Technic only does dyno tuning (nothing else) and has tuned pretty much everything you've ever seen.

Sam at CTB is also very good. Both are in Auckland, not sure about the other end of the country.

If you go see either of those guys I can give them phone support to walk them through the boost control issue. It's not that hard once you are made aware of all the tables that influence it.

One that catches most tuners out is there is a VCT adder for over/underboost. Not all software packages have these tables mapped, so if you disabled closed loop boost control (lots of tuners do as time is limited and they do not have the budget to tune it) and have a boost error the PCM will play with the VCT to try and help reach the boost target, this will result in very weird torque curves.

22 hours ago, Slowxr6t said:

Which section of the program do we find the overboost disable?

https://forum.pcmtec.com/topic/15-howto-boost-control-babf/

The FG has more tables again on top of this and the Sprint/5.0 supercharged also have temporary overboost and boost by gear on top of it as well. So depending on which vehicle you have there is a slightly different approach. It isn't as simple as just disabling the overboost, you need to configure the whole boost control strategy correctly, if you do this you retain all the factory safety features (overboost and sensor failure) and also retain the underboost (100% duty) to help get the car on boost faster at part throttle.

Edited by rollex
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 5y 3m 25d

So today I went out for a thrash and to see how my car was boosting again, and long story short, I realised that in 3rd gear tip tronic when I boosted it and the boost guage needle was all over the show it was actually the traction control pulling power out and it would go to 5psi then 10psi then surge a bit then go to 14psi. I thought it was the overboost but it is not!! I tried 4th gear and it boosted straight to 15psi, then I turned traction control off and tried 3rd gear and it boosts straight to 14psi, ya. So @JETURBO just to let you know nz does have good tuners. I was glad to find this out.

My tuner was glad to hear that he did have it right after all. I didnt realise it was slightly losing traction in 3rd.