Overboost

Slowxr6t

• Member For: 5y 3m 24d

Iv put a boost guage in my xr6t and it boosts to 10psi then boosts up to 14-15 psi on the overboost on the stock ecu. Can the overboost in the ecu be disabled so it just boosts straight up and doesn't surge? Or is this a 3rd world problem we just have to put up with? I'm getting 2psi boost at 1500rpm with my gt3582r with .7 comp housing. How does that boost response compare with others?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

yes, the overboost control by the ECU can be disabled and your tuner should have done so in the tuning process.

that's pretty normal to have a bit of boost quite early in the rev range, its where in your rev range you have full boost that matters most (it's around 2,800-3,200rpm in a stock turbo car.

@JETURBO HI, my tuner used hp tuners software to tune my car, he couldn't find the overboost disable function. Do you know where in the program it is, what heading its under? He has asked me to ask you aussie experts on here. Thanks

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

“IF” your tuner can’t work out the very simple boost strategy of a turbo falcon platform he hasn’t even done step 1 R&D 

“IF” I tell him how to overcome it you then have a vehicle that’s got a boost error target and how do I know he knows how to fix it ....? 

Your tuner might be gods gift but he doesn’t know what is very elementary strategy configuration modifications and knowing what the ECU is doing and commanding is pretty dangerous especially if you say you’re up over 400rwkw already

”IF” in fact your tuner does know what he’s doing but going about it in a very backwards way again this isn’t correct and needs to be addressed..

There is a reason I tune the turbo falcon for some very reputable tune shops around Australia as the factory falcon ECU is going about engine control in a different way to nearly every other make and model car out there, the WRX platform is closest ;) 

I’m not being a *beep* but in-fact looking after your engine for you 

• Like 1

Ok fair enough, good points there JET. My tuner hasn't done many Falcons, but he's got my car going really nicely and very smooth and safe, he tunes hundreds of cars and hasn't lunched one yet. He's not Gods gift and I'm guessing you weren't either when you tuned your first few Falcons. I respect and appreciate your experience and opinions, thanks

• Like 1