Differences in Barras

Fordy2377

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 2d

I dont know about you id start with google and research

also you must be from club FG if you want to turbo a gas engine I head they were bullet proof good for 500KW +++++++

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

gas engines were about as strong as early XR6T motors (Before June 2006 and not F6) and higher compression, so E85 can potentially take advantage of the higher compression with it's low-knock susceptibility and of course the gas motor was cheaper than the equivalent XR6T motor... since June 2006 (or F6 Typhoon/Tornado) it doesn't really matter. The problem is they can be still weak enough to easily bend a rod and the higher compression increases that risk, even with E85.

a "long" motor is just a motor that's not just the block, e.g. it has a head and a sump on it, too.

• Member For: 4y 1m 15d

E85 is gonna be difficult for me to run as no one locally sells it, so a 98 tune is gonna be more plausible, can I not lower the compression by swapping the pistons and then swapping rods to solve the weak point?

From what I can tell from 06 onwards the motors got better rods but I wasn't sure. And thanks for mentioning the long motor that had me kinda confused

Would an 06 onwards gas engine with XR6T pistons be all good for a 98 tune?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

yes, you can lower the compression by changing the pistons and swapping the rods for better items will help with longevity for sure.

pointless getting an 06 onwards gas engine specifically as it's the same as a 02 onwards gas engine.

• Member For: 10y 5m 27d

If you are stuck with 98 find either a late bf turbo motor or a fg turbo motor. You cant put xr6 turbo pistons on gas rods so just swapping pistons wont work.

Yes a gas motor will work on 98 but you'll be limited on boost by the high compression.

• Like 1

• Member For: 8y 11m 21d
On 13/02/2020 at 10:46 PM, Fordy2377 said:

E85 is gonna be difficult for me to run as no one locally sells it, so a 98 tune is gonna be more plausible, can I not lower the compression by swapping the pistons and then swapping rods to solve the weak point?

From what I can tell from 06 onwards the motors got better rods but I wasn't sure. And thanks for mentioning the long motor that had me kinda confused

Would an 06 onwards gas engine with XR6T pistons be all good for a 98 tune?

None of this makes sense.

If ya talking about using a gas engine then swapping out the weaker rods, why would you just use any barra long motor and put a set of H beam rods in it  and go from there. Gas or no gas it's all void if you open up the engine and rebuild it.

If you don't know the difference between a long motor and a short motor ya probably not doing the rods and pistons yourself, so the engine builder will steer you in the right direction.

Or just buy a fg long motor or $6000 F6 motor out of a wreck.

No cheap engine builds, it don't exist unless you build them yourself.