Should I wait?

Dawso

• Member For: 4y 2m 19d

I'm in the process of modifying my 2009 fg Turbo manual. Caught the turbo bug and now I want more power. I'm aiming for around the 300rwkw mark. It's supposed to be my daily driver not another toy as I already have that, we will see what happens 😉. Im trying to do this as cheap as possible and do alot of the work myself. I recently scored a process west stage 2 intercooler with pipe kit and 4" turbo back x force exhaust 2nd hand for a good price. I was only really wanting the cooler and dump pipe but I scored the full system for less than the cost of a new dump pipe. I'm going to get upgraded valve springs, fuel pump, 1000cc injectors and tune as soon as the funds prevail. My question is should I wait until I get everything together before I fit the parts I have without a tune? I only want really want to get the tune done once. Will fitting the intercooler and exhaust now be all good or will it have any adverse effects with factory tune? Also once everything is done before the tune do you reckon its drivable to the workshop to get it tuned? Sorry for all the questions at once but I'm so excited to get this thing singing. Cheers lads.

Edited by Dawso

• Member For: 4y 2m 24d

I am doing very similar mods to mine 4" dump went in the other day I have ordered the xspurt 1000cc injectors and 255 fuel pump to go in and booked in for tune next week so yes its hard but have been driving off boost until tune     so far so good 

K31th I am going to tune on E85 dose this mean I cant fuel up with 98 at all ?     the guys recon 330 rwkw

Edited by ALADE

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 6m 13d

For that power level valve springs are not necessary but nice to have. If your fitting them yourself then it's no extra Labor cost to worry about though.
Get the tuner to install injectors when you get there.
Once you install the cat and dump you have to baby it around off boost so I recommend installing them just before you go to get tuned.
The rest you can install willy nilly to your hearts content.

My work utes been at 300rwkw with very similar mods for about 4 yrs now.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d
7 hours ago, ALADE said:

K31th I am going to tune on E85 dose this mean I cant fuel up with 98 at all ?     the guys recon 330 rwkw

If you're running a "flex" tune with a "flex fuel" sensor then you can run whatever mix of 98 and E85, but 99% of people don't go down this route so you have to adjust your tune with a flashing device of some sort each time you change what fuel you're running.