Exhaust and Tuning

ALADE

• Member For: 4y 2m 1d

2013 FG XR6T  auto

Well guys I am a new member here I absolutely love this FG I have brought what a great car I am currently doing mods and am after advice on a few things Firstly I have put in a intercooler and air intake on the turbo side it is booked in this week to get a exhaust at Kuluin mufflers on the sunny coast 4" dump Hi flow cat and 3 1/2" from there , my question is do I need a tune directly after this work? 

The last thing I want to do is put in some new injectors and get the tune ( who on the sunny coast or Brisbane is good tuning these beasts?)

What power will this set up make ? 

Thanks  Andrew

• Member For: 5y 6m 24d

Baby turbo will limit you at around 300rwkw, reliably.
You can make up to 320-330rwkw on 98 pump fuel with baby turbo but that is ringing the balls of it and it'll go pop soon.

290-300rwkw is what to expect from your mods. On 98. Reliably.

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

yes, you will need a tune with changing the cat and you'll definitely want injectors put in by your tuner.

if you want to find a good tuner, read about the QLD ones in this thread-> https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/83001-tuner-in-queensland/

• Like 1

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 5m 22d

Once the dump & cat goes in only drive it lightly off boost to get it to the tuners or sh*t can go bang. Get the tuner to install the injectors when you take it in. I got 300kw on near identical mods.

• Thanks 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

the X4 flash tuner allows many tunes to be put onto your PCM/TCM, it's not hte "tune" itself. you need a "custom dyno tune" to go in any one of those "tunes" (different fuels, different boost settings etc you can choose to have tunes for if you so desire, but of course it'll cost more). There's other software that doesn't require a handheld device like the X4 that puts a tune directly onto your PCM/TCM without the device itself but of course you can't switch tunes like you might want to with a device.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 6y 9m 23d
11 hours ago, ALADE said:

What about the x4 flash tuner you can get with injectors for about $1500 is this a good option or are you better getting a Dyno tune ? 

I would Highly recommend finding a Tuner that uses PCMtec. Apparently the SCT stuff hasn't been updated in years, yet PCMtec is still being developed here in Australia specifically for the barras. And now you can have up to 4 different Maps pre-loaded into the factory PCM that you can change between while driving.

IMO the SCT and HP tuners is outdated and a waste of money for a hand-controller considering what the PCMtec can do.

• Like 3

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 10m 19d

You may wish to decide on how far you wish to go with the car, as you may be tumbling down the rabbit hole.

You may wish to consider having the flapper mod done, or installing an external wastegate. Larger exhausts on these things do help them to over boost significantly. 

as said before once the exhaust is fitted, only drive it off boost and resist temptation to give it the berries.

Pre tune you will also want a fuel pump installed. 

walbro 255 upgrades dont generally require much work or changes to your fuel regulator.

higher flow pumps will need wiring updates, as they require more amps and your pressure regulator will require changing as they cant dump enough fuel that the bigger pumps send.

GFB now make a drop in fuel pressure regulator that's suited to the task.

ideally have it tuned not long after exhaust install, with injectors of your tuners choice, some tuners have injector preferences.

your tuner will use whatever method they prefer to tune the car, but I do agree with MaStars regarding PCMtec, they are an Australian company so its great to support them as they are working hard to make the falcons do wonderful things on the stock ecm.

with all these things you will be set for a fun time, I would also suggest an external cooler for the transmission but its not necessary before tune just recommended for longevity of the transmission.

Edited by BeerTurbo
cant spell.
  • Like 1

• Member For: 4y 2m 1d

Yep thanks beer

mate I was lucky enough to buy the car with an external cooler already on he said it cost him $800 I think he said PWR brand or something like that it look good quality it’s in today for the exhaust and I managed to find a tuner a mate who has fast cars put me on to him Scotty Hoffman he’s in Brisbane so it’s book with him next week 

thanks from the rest of you guys helping out