Auto transmition oil change

Nick leighton

• Member For: 4y 2m 2d

So I checked the location of filler bung before I dropped the oil just to be sure I was able to top it up that afternoon with no hitches. Then I drop the autos sump plug.

now when I went to fill it up through the hole I assumed was the filler nothing will go into the gear box. It just runs back out of this so callled filler hole

Can’t find the details in the book any were on the box I could take a photo of to clarify. It’s a 6 speed auto and both drain and filler are located on the side of the gear box on the drivers side. The “filler hole” would be no larger than 13mm

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

the ZF 6HP26 that you're probably referring to there has complicated fluid level checking or servicing requirements.

see the following attachment: ZF 6HP26. Fluid Levelpdf.pdf

if you want to go a little further with regard to servicing, then this thread will help you: https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/94598-zf-external-cooler-install-and-transmission-service-how-to/

Actually just read through it, appears that I thought the drain bung is the filler but this makes no sense as that’s the whole all the oil drained from unless this is a different model transmition 🙃

Edited by Nick leighton
Update

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 24d

The filler is on the side below the mechatronics plug.

Note that even when the trans fluid is at the correct level some will drain out the fill plug when the engine is not running.

The fill procedure requires the engine running and the trans fluid at a certain temp to ensure the level is correct.

Check links posted above

Edited by spook