How expensive is it to get 350kw in a FG-X XR6T?

Bazza0123

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 6d

Awesome, cheers for that.

There's a place in Paraparaumu with a hub dyno, not sure what they're like as tuners though and haven't been able to get down and chat to them for obvious reasons.

Got a 2010 fg xr6t, real nice and tidy, got it at 45000km and I've serviced it every 10k since, it's at 115km now so it should be good to lean on it a little.

Just been looking at the Mamba gtx3576r, they not to badly priced, but don't want to get to high in the power stakes that I have to start messing around doing trans mods etc etc...

What size turbo you have? Exhaust upgrade?

• Member For: 5y 4m 12d

Garrett Gt3582r with a .70 compressor housing, turbosmart 45mm external wastegate plumbed back in under car, 4inch dump pipe no cat and 4inch to the first 3inch flange under the car, the rest of the exhaust is stock, mid and rear muffler so still nice and quiet. My car made 414rwkw on 18psi but we pulled it back to 15psi 382kw to save the driveline. It wheelspins like mad in dry in tiptronic 2nd gear if you going 80kph and plant it, I gotta be careful, lol has lots of power. Check my post on dump pipe, I have some photos. It's cool to chat to someone from here.

That's some really good power! So pretty much same mods except larger turbo and part of exhaust... sounds real tempting to go for a bigger hair dryer.

Dam I didn't even think about just cutting out the cat before I bought the 'high flow' unit! Good ol New Zillin aye.

I think I'll stick with my original plan to start with though, max out the stock turbo and see how that goes, the wife drives it alot and loves it so don't want to scare her to much....... yet.... 🤣

Just checked out your homemade dump pipe, nice job mate! When the rest of the car is iron oxide, the dump pipe will still be ready for action!

What model is your one? ZF box? Think I read somewhere on here that 350-370ish or there abouts and the ZF starts to get a little unhappy in standard form...

Yea zf box, 2015 fgx xr6t, last shape they made and now they are no longer so I just had to get one before they were extinct lol. I took off the stock trans cooler, aka milkshake maker, and mounted a external trans oil cooler behind the drivers side fog light. The zf is a bit of a concern with my power but I'm not going to drag race it and do big grippy launches. From what I have read it's the grip from sticky tires that twists zf input shafts and breaks tailshaft etc. Also if you want to downshift for more power for a pass, do it manually in tiptronic, select the lower gear then floor it, instead of making it do a big kick down 1 or 2 or 3 gears cos that is what can twist input shaft too, the massive shock from the instant torque. I think if you drive it smart it will last, atleast that's what I'm hoping. The flex plate between the engine and the zf will be my next mod along with ims twin Bush diff hat upgrade. I'm also probably going to change the oil in zf every 20,000km to help it out. Have you done any diff bushes yet? If I were you I would go to Keith Stewart for your tune, he did a real good job on my car. Hardly any more lag with the gt3582r  and not huge boost required to get it to rip, I dont need any more power than this, things happen real quick when you floor it, a real buzz.

I was reading up on the excellent post by MattyP on modding your fg, I think I'm going to get one of those PWR heat exchangers for the ZF, they look like the business and ol mate from pitlane performance has them for $695 aud.

Haven't done diff bushes yet but I just had a look at the rear one on mine and it definitely needs doing so I'll put some superpro ones in. That twin bush set up looks like the shizz though, maybe another upgrade for the future...

I will give Keith a call when I'm ready for the tune, I'm just south of Otaki so probably only 45 mins drive to Rongotea, it sounds like he knows his stuff and that way I can probably install the hi flow cat beforehand and just cruise nice and sedately up without causing any havoc with engine management hopefully.

What valve springs did you use? I'm thinking of getting the crow 1808-24 items, that way I can use my stock retainers and locks and they good for 420rwkw apparently.

Will Keith install springs? Kpm 1000cc injectors?

Does he tune using SCT? There's another $800 or so for a sct x4 unit.

Just getting back to the OP, I think 3 - 4k is way to light for 350rwkw, reliable ones anyway...

And yep, turbo side intake, piping kit, cooler all fitted, waiting on drop in fuel pump module from straya and need to get injectors and valve springs, will talk to Keith about those, so no tune yet.

It's definitely louder having the turbo side intake but I don't mind it, haven't really been able to test it properly yet with lock down but I wouldn't imagine there would be much of a noticeable difference until after tune.

What type of unit is the pwr? Air to oil or is it the same as the stock coolant to oil sandwich block, cos I wouldn't get stock style if there's still a risk of milkshake. I used Atomic springs, they are a straight swap over, I changed them myself but man is it a *beep* of a fiddly job, it's like brain surgery, one of the valves fell through into the cylinder so I had to take the head off to retrieve it. I was thinking of doing head studs so that gave me the opportunity to put in some atomic tool steel studs and plus doing the back valve springs was looking like it was gonna be extremely difficult so I could then do the rear springs with the head on the bench which was a walk in the park. I bought injector dynamics 1050x injectors from palmerston north and kpm 700hp anti surge drop in and plug in fuel pump. I dont think Keith would want to change valve springs or injectors but no harm in asking. I have the atomic tool to change valve springs on the car which you could borrow. I could help you do it all but it is a bit scary working on someone else's car. Keith uses hp tuners.

The pwr unit is still coolant to oil type but a lot more robust apparently, I'll have a look on here to see if I can find some more info and some reviews maybe.

I heard the valve spring change was a s**t of a job without the correct tool and still fiddly with it, especially the back ones.

I'll have a chat to the mechanic I use sometimes and see if he's done them before, might take you up on the offer of borrowing the atomic tool though if he hasn't got one, more than happy to give you a deposit till return and some universal currency (beersies) for your trouble.

So you ordered valve springs and tool from straya?

Where in Palmy did you get injectors?

So don't need an sct flash tuner, good there's some $$$ to go towards tune.

Nz performance are based in palmy, online shop, you can ring them and pay via credit card on phone, that's what I did for my injectors. I bought valve springs, complete brand new forged oil pump, valve spring tool, forged crank sprocket, head studs and anchorlox nuts to hold turbo on, all from atomic performance in aussie. My car was on my hoist for 11 weeks and I did all the work myself with a bit of help from a mate and my mechanic, very satisfying in the end doing a project like that. The back valve springs I think I would've needed a small mirror to do them and would've had to had my whole body in the engine bay and my head right up by firewall, it was a blessing in disguise when that valve fell into the cylinder and forced me to take the head off.