Changing to cia, do I need to tune?

Falconhell13

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

no, you don't strictly need a tune for changing the intake, but to make use of the intercooler etc you'll want to actually get a tune at some stage.

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 5m 23d

I had turbo side intake, intercooler & cat back exhaust untuned no problems for about 8months which dynod 250rwkw.
Cat, dump or fuel needs tuning.

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

It will still help having a better intercooler without the tune, in the same way that the PCM adapts for cooler weather and the car drives better. It is effectively the same as moving location to somewhere with lower ambient temperatures! But as Keith says, a tune will help maximise the benefit you get. Not unsafe in the meantime though, unless someone has previously tuned your car on the ragged edge of safety.

Interesting question re intakes. Have been considering going turbo-side and have read a few comments about the car running lean and being unsafe if a turbo side is installed without a tune. I can't understand this as the MAP sensor is after the turbo and the car will still know exactly how much air is coming in. Sure the car MIGHT make boost a bit easier and hit the overboost limit but hard to see how it is that much of an issue?

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 5m 23d

Well my ute was half a ton over weight and occationally towed. So theoretically with that extra load it would have boosted up even quicker vs rpm & peak earlier in the rev range and mine never boost cut with cai untuned so I'd happily say those comments are wives tales lol.