FG New Power Window Regulator plastic clip snapped.

cm.

• Member For: 5y 6m 3d

Hi All,

I have a FG MK II XR6 an and my drivers side power window regulator broke the other day. When I pulled it out I found that the cable had rusted and snapped....

Anyway, I bought a genuine replacement from ford (~$200). When I installed it and ran it up/down a few times, the plastic glide broke....

Is this a known/common problem? Ford dealer parts shop is of course not open today so now I have to figure out how to get my window to stay up with a broken regulator while I wait for them to open on Monday (Any ideas how to achieve this???)

Apart from just unbolting the old regulator and bolting in the new one, I didn't see anything in the workshop manual about resetting anything for the power windows, or needing to "relearn" the up/down limits. 

Any help would be appreciated.... especially how to get my window to stay closed so I can drive to work 😞

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

to get the regulator in and out it needed to be at a certain height anyway, as you would have found out, so breaking the plastic is a weird occurrence... if you want it to stay closed just get a bit of wood or something of the same height to push between underneath the window glass and the bottom of the regulator mounting.

Thanks, 

When the plastic clip broke one of the wires wrapped itself around the motor due to the tension release. I had to take the motor assembly off to wrap the wires around again. Problem is I think the cables have actually compressed when the tension was released, as it seems I am about 1cm short of being able to put it back together. 

Anyway, I'll see what wood I have spare :)

So I ended up being able to use the old clip from my broken regulator and getting it to work on the new one. Window now works but will need to take it out again to return to ford.