Handbrake cable lever rattle

K4L4M1TY

• Member For: 5y 1m 4d

Hi guys, I have finally tracked down the god awful rattle coming from my right rear wheel area(I hope) on my bf xr6t with pbr brakes. It seems that the handbrake drum cable lever where the end of the cable hooks on to the drum brake lever mechanism is flapping all over the place. I couldn't find it for ages as it doesn't do it when the handbrake is on but when off it moves up and down about an inch and bounces off the brake dust cover causing the tingy metal on metal rattle.

So for the guys who've changed a million drum shoes by now, do you know why this would be happenning? It seems fine on the passenger side with only slight play with the handbrake off, the right side though has atleast 5 times more play. Is it possible that the actual handbrake cable has stretched only on the one side? I can't imagine it would have anything to do with drum shoe adjustment.

The handbrake works fine though could do with a couple less clicks on engagement, I jacked the bad side up and couldn't seem to turn the wheel by hand with the handbrake on(lsd may have hampered my attempt though).

I've changed drum shoes and discs on a few other cars before and I thought usually this lever is attached in some way to the adjuster mechanism but from researching it seems it's not on these pbr's.  I had a go trying to get the disc off tonight but it was getting too late to be smashing it with the mallet so will be having another go at it tomorrow. The pic below from the tutorial post is the lever in question.Handbrake_Cable_Adjustment_10_15_6_2015.

Edited by K4L4M1TY
added more info