Walbro 460 Wiring

• Member For: 5y 11m 6d

Hey all, I’ve currently got an issue with my wiring going to the cradle. Few weeks ago I had a massive fuel leak coming from the cradle I originally changed the cradle O Ring thinking it was that but turns out the bulkheads I have on the cradle have melted on the power end and has actually melted the little rubber gasket on the bulkhead. So had a look and realised the earth installed wasn’t in the greatest spot (yellow circle marked on the photo) so I have now ran the earth straight from the battery to the chassis under the seat (Same earth spot marked before) and ran the earth to the relay and earth for the pump off that. And now I have melted the earth side on the cradle really bad as seen in the photo. The big bolt on the cradle was the previous whole that melted so I just put a bolt through it to cover it. I’m getting a new cradle today and am really hoping to not use these bulkheads anymore how are people running it from the relay to the pump cause I don’t really hear a lot of people using bulkheads. And also any help of trying to diagnose why I’m melting these wires. I’m running thicker gauge wire all the way from the battery (Earth) and also from the starter motor for the power.

d0f22b4d655d2daf516a8ccf4ca0024f.jpg

9cda2b4d1206c47a921ee8d2ed3d1d20.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which cable are you referring to? The thin cable that’s next to the cradle cover is going back to the relay just to earth it, the thicker one is the one which goes to the pump. The thicker one is 6 gauge

• XR50T
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 27d

6 gauge I doubt, 6mm² maybe.
6 gauge is 16mm², you wouldnt be using those crimp terminals if that were the case.

Have you checked to confirm its getting 12v when the cars idling?
The 460s can pull a fair amount of current at 12v, any voltage drop amd it'll want to draw alot more.

Sorry but which wire are you referring to?

Yes I’ve checked it and it’s definitely getting 12v

Could it potentially be a issue with the earth spot even though I’m running earth from the battery to that spot? Since I’ve changed the earth spot now the power wire is fine. Just the earth is the issue

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

6 gauge is overkill.  Whats max current.  30 amps.  ??

10 gauge will be fine for the pump power circuit.