yeah, plenty switched from multiple 044's to better powerful single pumps ages ago and it happens heaps now as the 044 was never compatible with E85 (unless that changed recently) so plenty of people switched to big singles or completely different pumps to be suitable for the E85 that tons of people were switching to or already running.

• Like 1
  • Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I have finally ended up with a turbo Falcon! After a long line of falcons including an XD, el and ultra tough Xa I have picked up a 11/06 bf mkII turbo. Ex cop car.   On first inspection the car

More work done today getting the carpet, center console and seats back in. Looking heaps better already. Head liner is really letting the interior down now so I will try get someone out this week to

I wasn't so thrilled with how the dash looked, tried some rejuvenation products which didn't really last and wasn't happy with the dash cover, just didn't sit right over the aftermarket gauges.. So I

Parts have arrived just in time so all systems are go for repairs starting tomorrow. No information on torque specs supplied for the head studs but I watched the clip of scotty doing up his barra and he did 3 steps to 135nm. Should be sweet? Still waiting on a message back from dominator for confirmation.

90lbft is the usual for head studs. ARP has lots of info on their website.

Edit: maybe that was the main studs lol.

Edited by Puffwagon
Got smacked with the tardle stick.
  • Like 1

Couldn't wait so got the car to the shop after work and got a jump start.. All the good stuff going on. Going to try leave the turbo manifold and everything in place possibly held back by some rope and its pretty much inlet manifold out of the way, cams and head off. Might run some cheapo oil through it for 15 minutes and aim to get rid of as much crap as possible. a6dd0abbb282216da49450d6addf12f5.jpgf51f093c6cb132712edab1ebc7e93229.jpg4376bf1b0d0249553576d698e8ab4287.jpg0ee625865f022d7943f39d867ce986da.jpg

That's a lot of water in there man. Is there evidence on the gasket where it leaked or have you found a crack in the head? Is there something else that has failed like an oil cooler?

• Like 1

Yet to get the head off to check.. A crack in the head was my gut feeling. All I could see was water coming into number 5 and a miss. When I last checked the oil, it was still gold. The short drive here and I checked it again and it was milky. No oil cooler on this engine so a close look at the head and gasket when it comes out.

• Thanks 1

You're right about getting the engine out because I also need to look at the trans leak but time is limited and this is the best option for me atm.. Still a hoist is better than straight up floor work.

Good morning everyone! Early start and whipped the head off. Nothing overly obvious from what I can see unless I'm missing something. Going to clean up the head and check if its straight next up.db4f4ef0f3d556dc1d05e09518914b1d.jpge401670e6359b1206bb77fa25422075d.jpg0bbbf18f498d1c829a77c350be365273.jpg9526450b1bcfbcdcb83dc443569bc545.jpgc935c8ae0349204161408ccd2379e431.jpg

I'd be tipping a type c kind of failure but hard to tell with these steel gaskets. The old one looked original and was thin, 1 layer vs 4 of the dominator gasket. Cars 70% together now and has mostly gone smooth. The timing cover was a bit of a turd and still a guessing game if you haven't shifted the sump half moon when fitting it up. Pretty much inlet manifold and rocker cover followed by all the little things, plugs, coils, hoses and wires. The car will also need a radiator as the outlet for the top hose looks pretty stuffed.

I'll be hitting it again early Sunday and hope to road test by the afternoon. 263ef8e46cdda244cbba92209af61ce3.jpga1fa69e2947926c9986f29bff765cb93.jpg2c48099e801942c5384a7720a751a997.jpgc0c5f6b1fe12671f09b24e4bf1149767.jpg

I read that as the actual head on my body needing a pressure test and yes I agree.

As for the car itself, no doubt a pressure test and service would be ideal time is limited but. I'm guessing 80% chance this job is going to fail and continue to leak then at that point I will give up and part out.

6 minutes ago, violetpop said:

I'm guessing 80% chance this job is going to fail and continue to leak then at that point I will give up and part out.

Don't be a quitter :slap:

Get it sorted properly and it'll be 300rwkw all day long

• Like 1

I don't want to quit especially after putting in a decent amount of work and coin into it but I also want to enjoy the car, actually use it. And that's hasn't been happening much. See how this job turns out hey

20 minutes ago, violetpop said:

I read that as the actual head on my body needing a pressure test and yes I agree.

As for the car itself, no doubt a pressure test and service would be ideal time is limited but. I'm guessing 80% chance this job is going to fail and continue to leak then at that point I will give up and part out.

Don't waste time on reassembly until you pressure test.

Don't give up! You've come so far!

• Like 1

The head is already bolted back down and a fair amount of things back in place already. I could possibly get the cooling side back together first up and get the pressure tester on it while I do other things. There's a chance it will be ok considering the car never actually over heated unless its some freak casting issue. Concerning that nothing was visible on the surfaces and gasket though.

Cheers mate! Yeah you're right about the engines, you've obviously seen some of the crap sold on market place for 3k etc? Wouldn't touch it.

This engine looked to be in remarkable condition with low k's for a barra but thinking practically, there's a reason why everyone does pump gears, valve springs and head studs/gasket. I skipped the last part thinking 'she'll be right' and then I've come along jammed 16psi and e85 down its throat. One minute its had an easy life in a ba wagon, next minute I'm leaning on it. Could just be the gasket but the next few days will confirm this.

• Like 1