My long term tidy up!

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

if it's the same as that picture, it won't be close haha... not sure what paint the factory uses, but it's a quality one that's got that hit of "understated" unless it's super shiny-clean, which is quite suitable for a factory wheel colour.

• Like 1

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 3m 21d

I know what you mean its almost like somewhere between full and semi gloss... It would be hard to replicate I rekon.

Let's just say if it looks clean and silver I'll be happy.

I got a couple of cans of clear coat too so I might be able to fiddle with how glossy I can polish it up when done. Chances are they'll be covered in crap in 1 week along with the duco as well.

I just got what you mean, its the same colour as the cap. From what I could see the picture is generic type and used on the whole range, gold for example.

Hey guys! Honest opinion time...

I have been tentatively offered a stock nitro blue 2008 fg xr6 non turbo 5 speed for near on nothing. I'm talking free here...

Its a pretty good car, scuffs on the front and rear bar, 150,000km and in overall good condition.

Would it be crazy to use my car as a 'parts car' and transplant all the good stuff into the fg in question? If the fg is a better 'driving' car I would be tempted.

The biggest hurdle I can see is getting the 6 speed zf in and communicating but perhaps with electronic wizardry this isn't a big issue and things like the boost control solenoid etc.

Too much work for not enough of a result? Just plain crazy? Or good idea?
a720e79ef3bde40657a0466692e129c0.jpg

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

it's do-able... but a massive stuff about haha but you seem to have basically infinite patience so it's really up to you.

• Like 1

Ha! Yes It appears that way.. My patience will be pushed to the limit now in regards to my car..

I keep fooling myself into thinking I am satisfied with the paint. I am not.

I just can't get these defects out.. Now I joined a Facebook painting group as asked a few industry pros about my issue.

First off they all said I didn't thin the pain down enough. I went 50/50 and they suggested 60 to 70% thinners to paint.

In terms of rectifying my issue they all said to keep sanding. Or do an aggressive sand for example 600 wet and get as many defects out and shoot 2 more thick coats on the car.

I know what to look for now so I will be able to watch the paint go on thick and flat. Not textured.

So.. Looks like I will be sanding down and painting the car again if I want it right.

I feel like giving up, throwing mud all over the car and pouring all my dollars into making it stupid fast. At least then I won't stress when I park it under a tree and will go with the sleeper theme...8e829903a490f58bf371c42964da9015.jpg

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
41 minutes ago, violetpop said:

...Now I joined a Facebook painting group as asked a few industry pros about my issue...

ahh, well now that you're getting good advice, just use it and go with that... you've come this far as you could get a brilliant result rather than a "first-goer" style job you've done here :)

• Like 1