My long term tidy up!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 3m 20d

Finally the car is driving under its own power again. I had a helper come along for the first start sitting in the car monitoring oil pressure and key duties while is scrambled to get as much oil in the trans as possible while listening for any knocks, rattles or leaks.

The temperature gauge went haywire, fans came on and it went hot even though no visible signs of overheating from the engine bay. Filled water through the thermostat housing and topped up the rest through the bottle. Just came good out of no where.

Dumped the oil after it all got up to temp and filled with fresh stuff and have logged about 200km. Its started to smoke ever so slightly on the first cold start which leads me towards something going on in the top end. I outsourced nothing so very well could have been an issue already. Catch cans are free of oil and even removing filler car shows minimal if any blow by.

The aim is to log a few more hundred kays, get it on synthetic and get the trans and engine tunes looked at again.

It also appears while the car has been sitting, the front right wheel bearing has packed up and started making a noise. So got 2 on order to replace as soon as possible. 7839c84a3348c376f85ce7da1144428f.jpg6846505f0153981d6c01e95c2300edd7.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Pains me to write this but the engine has let go again. happened on the dyno while having the tune looked at. I am yet to see the car but tuner is saying something on number 6 with water entering the cylinder. a bit late but now will be time to pull my finger out and build up a reliable engine. Spool kit or atomic short rebuild kit something along those lines.

• Sad 1

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

That sucks mate 

But…. Blokes who don’t deck the block and have the head finished as a bare minimum should always except a failure and if it doesn’t you’re lucky… it’s not the other way around !

Yes been there done that and know it’s worth the effort every time now but can appreciate rolling the dice, actually have a set up near on 600rwkw living on a non prepped surfaces  and to negate this less than favourable condition I go a cut ring gasket (Athena) and 110ftlb on the studs (ARP) and 120ftlb (Atomic) M12’s but again it’s “Rolling the Dice” …. Risk VS reward something something…. 

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

True story is true. You shouldn't use an MLS gasket on anything other than a perfectly prepped surface. I noticed that block straight away and wondered if it had leaked.

I also use the Athena gaskets and while they can be installed on a used surface, the block needs to be recently refinished (past couple of years) and the head needs to be decked every time to remove previous ring marks.

If it is just a leaking gasket you can reseal it with sealant. Not how it should be done but if you don't wanna strip the engine and get the surfaces prepped it will work.

Edited by Puffwagon
My like a edit
  • Like 1

Good points fellas. I'm going to use this experience as a trial run so ill know what better steps to take next time. No shortcuts. I managed to have a look at the car, with all the plugs out it doesn't crank on the starter. The starter engages but no crank, its locked up and #6 plug looks like this. e3ed02d172b5e8fabf20848bea3bae88.jpg