My long term tidy up!

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d
16 minutes ago, violetpop said:

One minute its had an easy life in a ba wagon, next minute

On 25/08/2020 at 5:00 PM, Puffwagon said:

Yerp that will give you part of a stock rebuild. I looked at this option and then I thought well fark if I'm going to spend $500 on pistons I may as well spend enough and get some forged pistons, then I thought well fark it, I'll get upgraded pins too then I thought fark it and got I beam rods too.

While it's out and apart; You'll want better rods too, so they'll need sizing and the crank will need linnishing, then you may as well get oil pump gears, then you may as well get main studs which will mean line honing, and if you're getting it line honed then you may as well get a girdle and get the main caps machined to suit, then you may as well do the flex plate cos you may as well while it's out, then you'll want to at least deck the head, then you may as well get the seats re cut while you're there and get a decent set of springs in it, so you may as well get a full atomic timing kit, and of course you'll be forking out for a full vrs kit which will mean that you may as well get a better head gasket, then you may as well get head studs too cos it's only an extra $250, then you may as well get a balancer cos the stock ones are sh*te, then for all that bullsh*t you may as well buy a giant turbo and if you've got a giant turbo then you'll need a beastly fuel system and then you'll put the whole lot together, break your transmission, replace that, break the diff, replace that, go through a set of tyres and axles every 2 weeks and eventually wish that you'd just bought a honda civic and paid off the mortgage instead.

But yeah, nothing wrong with a stock rebuild :)

NEK MINUTE :doc1:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 10m 20d

The standard head gasket is completely fine for a LOT of horsepower, the only reason I would 'upgrade' that gasket from a standard Ford gasket would be to do fire rings, otherwise the only upgrade needed on the head would be the studs themselves.

I feel like I have proven the standard gasket goes pretty well throwing 40 plus psi at it without any issues.

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 3m 21d

Got the rest of the car back together last night and went for a successful road test! Got the cooling system sorted first and got the pressure tester on it while I was doing other things. No leaks! Could it have just been the gasket? Maybe... The car didnt miss a beat on the easy going hour long road test and only time will tell if things hold up. plan is to check things over today and see how everything looks.

In the next week I aim to get a new radiator in it and I've also ordered the thermostat housing bleeder for quicker fill ups.

Dominator also supplied this spacer type plate which looks to go above the timing cover but I didnt see a need for it as the surfaces were dead flat.

I hope the engine is now reliable to have it on the road long enough to smash an axle.141e269444a426bad356383404600c7a.jpgeca81c512729a280b7a26ff8ea07dda5.jpgae5a989605adf2ace8e1f047fe6ac312.jpgded9c55418806efa736851959c1736cc.jpg

• Like 4

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

good result :) that blue background of your engine bay is so striking when you compare it to exterior colour haha

• Like 1

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 3m 21d

Been researching radiators and for a good reason. It appears someone has fitted an early ba possibly xt radiator at some point.

I've driven the car again and gradually increased the boost. The car rips but it rips to the point where I think its over boosting. Blew the hose off the throttle body twice but getting on it, it starts to turn the tyres so easy in second which it didnt do before.

A minute from home, the radiator top hose outlet gave up and the temp started to shoot up just as was coasting into the drive way. Managaned to cool it down pretty quick but what a frantic minute it was. Big fail.. So looks like new rad will be happening sooner rather than later and then move on to working out where all this crazy power has come from.bd345c47f5fc72084c4a87514086a526.jpg

• Member For: 6y 10m 28d

400rwkw will spin up easily in second. Was the dyno sheet from its actual last run on the dyno. I'd say that's when the problem started and we all know how bike riders like to limiter bash all the time 😁. You might have been down on power when you picked it up and just got worse over time. Is it pinging, have you got a boost gauge on it? 

• Like 1

• Member For: 8y 5m 21d

@violetpop Fenix sell a 50mm aluminium radiator for $440, maybe that's worth a try? Or the standard BA/BF XR6 turbo radiator should be 26mm but we sell a 26 and a 32mm thick core from either Adrad or Motogear.

• Like 1