My long term tidy up!

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 3m 20d

I'd be tipping a type c kind of failure but hard to tell with these steel gaskets. The old one looked original and was thin, 1 layer vs 4 of the dominator gasket. Cars 70% together now and has mostly gone smooth. The timing cover was a bit of a turd and still a guessing game if you haven't shifted the sump half moon when fitting it up. Pretty much inlet manifold and rocker cover followed by all the little things, plugs, coils, hoses and wires. The car will also need a radiator as the outlet for the top hose looks pretty stuffed.

I'll be hitting it again early Sunday and hope to road test by the afternoon. 263ef8e46cdda244cbba92209af61ce3.jpga1fa69e2947926c9986f29bff765cb93.jpg2c48099e801942c5384a7720a751a997.jpgc0c5f6b1fe12671f09b24e4bf1149767.jpg

I read that as the actual head on my body needing a pressure test and yes I agree.

As for the car itself, no doubt a pressure test and service would be ideal time is limited but. I'm guessing 80% chance this job is going to fail and continue to leak then at that point I will give up and part out.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d
6 minutes ago, violetpop said:

I'm guessing 80% chance this job is going to fail and continue to leak then at that point I will give up and part out.

Don't be a quitter :slap:

Get it sorted properly and it'll be 300rwkw all day long

• Like 1

I don't want to quit especially after putting in a decent amount of work and coin into it but I also want to enjoy the car, actually use it. And that's hasn't been happening much. See how this job turns out hey

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 8m 27d
20 minutes ago, violetpop said:

I read that as the actual head on my body needing a pressure test and yes I agree.

As for the car itself, no doubt a pressure test and service would be ideal time is limited but. I'm guessing 80% chance this job is going to fail and continue to leak then at that point I will give up and part out.

Don't waste time on reassembly until you pressure test.

Don't give up! You've come so far!

• Like 1

The head is already bolted back down and a fair amount of things back in place already. I could possibly get the cooling side back together first up and get the pressure tester on it while I do other things. There's a chance it will be ok considering the car never actually over heated unless its some freak casting issue. Concerning that nothing was visible on the surfaces and gasket though.

Cheers mate! Yeah you're right about the engines, you've obviously seen some of the crap sold on market place for 3k etc? Wouldn't touch it.

This engine looked to be in remarkable condition with low k's for a barra but thinking practically, there's a reason why everyone does pump gears, valve springs and head studs/gasket. I skipped the last part thinking 'she'll be right' and then I've come along jammed 16psi and e85 down its throat. One minute its had an easy life in a ba wagon, next minute I'm leaning on it. Could just be the gasket but the next few days will confirm this.

• Like 1