My long term tidy up!

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 18d

ouch. someone seems to have a lead foot.

I don't know how I have missed this thread over the years. Awesome read man. I started yesterday and spent the arvo reading through it all, while enjoying your journey.

It's a pitty you didn't start it with an FG. :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 4m 9d

An interesting event occurred last night which I believe is fueling related. Getting off the lights quick and peddling the car to eventually full throttle in 3rd gear I heard a pop/back fire and not out of the exhaust. This sounded more of an inlet/timing out type pop.

I also feel like I heard this exact pop when the car was at 350rwkw on 98 however there was a car next to me and things were moving pretty quickly and my first thought was valve springs. Anyways I cruised the car home and it feels fine so perhaps I am lucky but my luck will run out if I don't park the car up and sort something out.

On the phone with kpm and he believes my 1000cc injectors are not big enough. Also suggested an fg tank with the 1000hp kit.

I'm not sure I want to go down the road of more and more and more bit rather turn the car down, less boost less power to something like 300-320rwkw and save the transmission along with the rest of the car. Perhaps in this case I can run a stand alone relay to the in tank pump and that should be sufficient for that power level.

Am I safe to assume this is the fuel system not being able to keep up as I'm racking my brain thinking of anything else that could need attention? It didnt feel like any surge took place but all I can think is that it leaned out? Car was 3/4 full at the time. Cheers guys!

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 17d

Every single customer I flip over to E85 has one of my shopping lists of parts or we don’t do it ;)

Anti Surge tanks work for a reason and is a must ! 

1000cc injectors have more than enough capacity for upto 500rwkw with a few depending factors of course on E85 

Nearly every vehicle I’ve tuned for other workshops where the vehicle comes in with an intank system is less than desirable IMHO and I also let them know exactly what the car should be hardware wise to do it properly. This happened as recently as two weeks ago and was a full KPM 460 kit ;)

• Like 1

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 4m 9d
Every single customer I flip over to E85 has one of my shopping lists of parts or we don’t do it  

Anti Surge tanks work for a reason and is a must ! 

1000cc injectors have more than enough capacity for upto 500rwkw with a few depending factors of course on E85 

Nearly every vehicle I’ve tuned for other workshops where the vehicle comes in with an intank system is less than desirable IMHO and I also let them know exactly what the car should be hardware wise to do it properly. This happened as recently as two weeks ago and was a full KPM 460 kit
I was just putting off the inevitable trying to keep the tank full but I think the voltage drop as the revs increase is what my problem is in this case do you think? Its a given I will need your 'shopping list' at this power level but thinking I will pop in a 5-7psi waste gate spring and turn it down, run a relay upgrade and carry on. Even that's not 100% full proof.

• Member For: 6y 11m 16d

I had an issue like that once, it ended up being the short fuel line with the module connections on it, had a little kink in it. It was in my return line and once it had a certain pressure in the return it wouldn't flow. I was having those issues with over 1/2 tank of fuel. So I would check those. Also the 460 shouldn't ever draw more than 19 amps so the stock wiring should just be ok. I saw a test with a 460+ and it maxed out at 19 amps as well. Pull the module make sure everything is sitting nicely and nothing has come loose, do you have the black e85 fuel line, did you drill the venturi ?  You should be fine with that power with fuel etc if you keep an eye on it under a 1/4