My long term tidy up!

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

It’s obviously my pretty well informed opinion as you know I’m fairly competent on tuning the turbo falcon platform. It's just some of those easy things to get right makes for a why aren’t they right situation.
Things like 15kmh/per second on a sub 280 car means it’s not actually going through the paces of what that vehicle will actually travel at for the power. 

Spiro is a very competent Turbo falcon tuner in NSW. So is Joe at CMS... Whatever happened did happen and off day’s come up. Very unfortunately at your expense. Joe @ Precision Racing is a great Turbo falcon tuner also and in NSW ;) 

Empire Mechanical and Racing with Omar at the Keyboard are bloody good also 

You’re actually spoiled for choice of very competent tuners 

• Like 1

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 3m 20d

We are lucky to have knowledgeable people like yourself who are also happy to share information and hands on experience

I think I know who I will be booking in with once I get the dump on. He is a little more expensive but I really can't risk any more issues with the tuning and engine side of things.

• Member For: 6y 10m 27d

Yea, he had a FG with high flow GTX wheel on the standard turbo plus a walbro 525 fuel pump in the tank in there I saw making 570rwhp on 98 at 19psi...

It must of had 3582 that's real close or over the edge.

• Like 1

Which leads me to wonder if my drop in 460 will be enough for the upcoming e85 tune. Not too keen on a surge tank at this stage but perhaps a big pod 460. Probably should have done it straight up haha

• Member For: 6y 10m 27d

Did you get the high pressure one? there are 2 types. I went to a big pod with modified pod plus I took the check valve out as well. Pretty sure the standard 460 is good for at least 450rwkw on e85. Just keep it over a quarter of a tank till you decide what to do. Should be fine for the tune, see what the fellas say.

Edited by adams355

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

I’m probably a bit too OCD and picky with tuning and yes not all cars play the game and not all mods work as well as others but when there is laziness at play or an intention to speed up the process for a number on a sheet it pisses me off. 

Is there a right and wrong with tuning, short answer is no as you can do whatever you want but the long answer is “Yes” as the target should always be Torque generation over power with an on paper skill attached to not only go well but look right. Then obviously the vehicle must perform, behave and last as we have seen above wasn’t very well delivered in the longevity aspect. 

IF you want to send it over on a truck I would be more than happy to tune it all for you :) 

Now,This is also the same for what you’re pondering now RE: E85 tune

Yes the Walbro 460 comes in High and Low pressure variants ( so common for workshops to fit low pressure units and have flow issues ) 

A walbro 460 LPU with a target of 12.0 and clean supply of 13.8V with a wiring upgrade and relay option and new filter will supply enough fuel for the 440/450 area. A HPU can actually do a bit better as it’s the boost on top of the units rated pressure that tips things over ( 58.5psi base plus say 20psi plus ontop and a 87psi rated unit ) But the HPU is 112psi rated 

Going the pump only on a B series is risky unless you know the situation as surge is a real thing on the B series fuel tank. That also said if you are aware, keep the tank full you can get away with playing with fire lol. As a guide I fit every single customer car with a Surge tank, twin feed rail, aftermarket FPR, wiring kit and only then we play with E85 ( B series or F doesn’t matter ). IF you keep to a realistic power goal, upgrade the wiring and relay and be aware when you sink the boot you could have most of your cake and eat it too with what you’ve got. The Green Top will handle 400rwkw comfortable and so should your mods ( intercooler questionable but E85 will help it all ) so there should be no reason you can’t end up around 400’s on 18 psi which is all very acceptable ;) 

• Like 3

Gold star post, given me a fair bit to think about. Perhaps as adams355 and you have suggested, keep the tank full get the tune and then quickly look at further fuel system upgrades. Id need to have a look at the TI Walbro box to confirm the part number of the pump to confirm which one it is. 

You would be able to supply me with your recommended fuel system stuff? I dont want a deal or anything just would be good to sort it all out in one go, hard parts, lines, fittings etc. To confirm, the twin feed rail does away with the factory style fpr? (so id be looking at on selling my gfb drop in unit)

The way I see it keeping the tank always over half or so to be safe will become a pain in the butt really quick considering it will be using more fuel when on e85 so I would probably be doing a top up every 100-150km :angry: