My long term tidy up!

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 4m 8d
Most certainly agree mate. Starting to get excited now, I ordered a bolt in high flow cat section also which should be here next week I hope so all going well I aim to get the car to tune asap after rego.

In saying that still plenty to do, struts and springs, control arms need to be looked at also.. Fun and games
  • Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 6d

keeping you busy isn't the worst thing as long as you're making progress :) the way I see it you're making plenty of progress.

• Like 1

Some more evening activities tonight.

So I decided to tackle the front brakes and get that sorted. The car had some shocking shudder coming through the wheel so I was keen to fix that up. All went smooth up until driving home. A few minutes from home I can smell hot brakes, I pull over and feel the rims, the right front is overly hot, not smoking but hot and little smelly. Cruised it home and ill need to have another look into it perhaps fast track the caliper overhauls. I will pull it apart again and double check everything anyways.

Next up was to look at this transmission.. The good news is that its fixed. Every problem I described has gone and the trans feels like new, super smooth and responsive.

So I pulled the pan off and had a massive light bulb moment. The filter dropped down as if it wasn't secured properly. Granted its only the tube and the o ring which hold it in place. Then I had an instant flash back to the previous time I filled it up and the oil that would overflow when full was bubbly, almost as if it was aerated. I didnt think anything of it at the time. Then it hit me... Filter slouching down causing it to suck air? I secured the filter by removing one of the valve body bolts and fitting a safety wire washer as pictured, then I was able to run a length of wire the will hold the part of the filter that drops down. Its solid simple and it works.

Either way I got stuck into changing the valve body seals and adaptor. They weren't as rooted as I was expecting but feels good to finally change them all. Could this have fixed my strange shifting issues also, maybe?

I still have a stack of trans oil to flush through it so I will monitor things as I go along. 9e53b1f43f24eb5770872fa7a353cb98.jpg3a9a9db99a44cffa8ceaafaa7a025e89.jpg7289d4124ca1236a1b5e708e61b7ca94.jpg3eac029ba92db853a5c7d32565db892b.jpg7ddfc4501c60c5e8e5910036ac782123.jpg9772b0f06dd66344e1c012ac24a2ce2b.jpg

• Like 2

Sooo Saturday morning I thought I'd try my luck for a blue slip and left it with a local guy close to me. He has done some of my bikes in the past so thought I'd give him a try. It passed! He was happy with the car a had a little mention of the 'sleeper' style. Win!

Then last night again I decided to have another look at the brakes. Strip calipers and rebuild, fit braided lines, fresh fluid. Nothing looked odd when pulling apart the calipers but again after about 45 minutes driving, the front right wheel is dragging. Further inspection is needed. I need to crack the bleeder valve while the caliper is dragging and see what the go is.. I was just of the thinking that if it was a master or rod problem that all 4 wheels would drag and or the fronts only not just one.

I've logged a little over 100km since on the road and the car is going great, shifting is beautiful, engine is purring nicely. The little front end noises are getting to me so I think I will be tracking down some upper and lower arms and rebuilding them for a fast change over.

I'll use this next few weeks to tinker and sort anything that needs sorting and then look at booking in for injectors and tune up.

On the list:
Sort brakes
Fix ignition switch
Fit oil temp and pressure gauges
Window tints
Figure out a way to make it artificially dirty to look like even more of a sleeper.

3fb275e7ce059f1b3e72278c37634762.jpgadabefb5671ecd8f76eb50b58b3f8c1b.jpg47e19f8e8877be8cedc4a7ada9d4e86f.jpg9408c5eb5dce9c5b535d950bd58319f4.jpg6ed88d04c86b43b2bf8cf7e17060e74f.jpg

• Like 2

Small update with the car.. Brakes are fixed! Turns out it was a dud caliper which was causing the brake drag. I got down to my local wrecker and picked up a spare to try and it sorted it. Good news.

I have ordered another stack of parts for the car. Cheaped out and went with kyb shocks front and rear and replacement strut tops. I also ordered upper and lower control arms for the front too. Last on the list was the tail shaft rubber coupling.

Eyeing out springs at the minute, stock xr6 height is what I am chasing and atm Lovell's springs are the winner.

I'll be back on the hoist after hours when the parts arrive no doubt

Some more after hours hoist action!

First up a fitted the bolt in cat section. Was able to re use the factory heat shield and secured them with some metal straps. The venom system fit well, no issues. Its quiet, basically sounds the same as stock at idle and just a little more noise when driving. Its perfect, just the way I like it.

I sourced the boot/fuel door switch a little while ago and finally did the swap. Its a nothing job but damn I feel good when I fix stuff like that.

Next up was the drive shaft rubber. Its wasn't too too bad but did have some small tears in it. Replacement is the only option.

The car is booked in with cms and I will be dropping it off mid week..

Anyone want to guess rwkw? My setup is basic, k&n filter, monza cooler, raceworks 1000cc inj, walbro 460, fg turbo and turbo smart 12psi actuator. I'm thinking 260rwkw roughly.

A couple off other issues have popped up last few days.

1. A noticeable thud down by the passenger floor/foot well. Its something air con related because I think it doesn't do it if I start the car with the air con already off. If its on and I start the car, the thud happens.. Any ideas?

2. The traction control light comes on randomly and can't be turned off. The only way is to turn the car off and back on again. In one case it came back on again and went away after a second shutdown startup. I did some quick research but nothing sticking out atm so I might scan it and see of anything comes up. From what I have seen when I did the brakes, the abs sensors look to be ok so it might be something else.

In other news, my dash needs some serious attention. Its dry and chalky looking and really letting down the rest of the interior. Currently looking at options on how to fix it up.. Vinyl spray paint, some sort of ceramic coating. See how it goes soon.

Fun and games really but very keen to see the results from the tune and how the transmission feels after. e383abaa1f9cfbdf52d2d4679e94e384.jpg03886c02ee1a6de995e1c88c1074e1f4.jpg1302063f6c718b5cac3e6076a1a7f611.jpg9f94f4b304378a65b875fcc022b0e3e1.jpgc2dd50135b14ffc58b354c8e72358dfa.jpgfbcf3b8da141aa4b85921d862407a0af.jpgfa14919f7e69beb0ef0cda810f0ec805.jpg

• Like 2