My long term tidy up!

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 3m 21d

Its like it all had to slot in together at exactly the right angle.. Turbo and manifold are pretty heavy and so is the dump so jiggling all about was a pain. The very front exhaust stud had to come out also because no chance the manifold will go on with the stud screwed into place. Got it sorted in the end though.

• Like 1

Some more progress today with the fuel pump finished and back in the car.

First off I will say I am happy that I chose to use the proper convoluted fuel line because I realised that the pump is actually squashed down when mounted to the tank. The submersible like would of kinked straight away.

I checked all the filters I got and decided that the filter that was supplied with the pump was the best option. The extra 45 degree filter I got would sit the pump up way to high. I've attached some photos of them all for comparison.

During the week I pulled up at a local wrecker and wanted to buy any modern fuel pump I could find. I ended up buying it for peanuts to try and have a go at removing the factory convoluted hose and just inspect things in general. What I found was I could remove the hose without wrecking it with a little bit of heat from a lighter and some gentle prying with a flat blade. It is possible so good to know. Another thing I found was the diaphragm in the bottom of the swirl pot was much larger and had a larger opening. I began to wonder if I could file the ford pot and enlarge that hole, fit the larger diaphragm and effectively get more petrol into the pot. Then I decided to stop playing engineer and use the stock ford diaphragm and possibly revisit the idea down the track. If anyone has any suggestions about this, good idea, bad idea or just ugly I am open to it.

Put the pump back together, once again a little bit of heat made the plastic hose slide on nice and chucked on some clamps for good measure. The pump sits in secure and has about 1-2mm of up and down movement. Basically I can clip together the assembly and the pump isn't push or forced down. Satisfied with the outcome and hope to have no issues moving forward.

I also got the tyres fitted up and balanced. Nothing special at this stage just some good yokahama commuter type tyres for the front and some cheap 2018 build toyos for the rear. Once the car is on the road and the bugs are ironed out, I plan to do a skid or 3 and then get some sticky ones.

With some luck I will get back in the garage on the weekend and finish off the turbo side of things and have the car mobile again. 44d63e9fceb8fad0d586edd38cba7374.jpge6840a62a1d002c1d2acf43f870a6b3a.jpg239a3094915f9c9cc30bc97e04ca6ade.jpg4a3175baed6e5860dc4a962ec768d989.jpg26c1be4f139f2ec235590e92ddcecf46.jpg1af9d03baef24855f6667dcb1a9d8e3f.jpgc3a18d70894d43bc84ee4653af067c58.jpg4c93ca7a4c8b553dbe9050ac38293cdf.jpg

• Like 3

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 7d

Yeah good choice on the corrugated line. Most people cut the submersible hose to the exact size to keep the height right which is a bit of a muck around. I did it in a loop like Mickey Mouse ears the first time, but in my current car used the corrugated stuff.

• Like 2

Well car is up and running again but a small issue has come up.

First up I dug out the parts I had ordered months ago and got to changing them. Coils, plugs, thermostat and boost valve.

All went smooth. I cranked the engine to get oil pressure while the plugs were out too so the turbo had oil straight up.

Observed the old thermostat being stuck open.

Went back over to the turbo side and hooked up the return back to the sump, doubled checked all my work, filled it with water and checked the oil level.

Car started perfect no drama.. After a few minutes it developed a grumpy idle. It smelt a little fuely (a little like the smell of a cold start) so my thinking is that it could be a good idea to get an aftermarket fpr and gauge.

Off idle the car revs clean and sounds perfect. 007994918ec08ead89aa3bd4831d318b.jpg558c9c8fd545d77b152d5784a12b4926.jpg81a9444f673a376c8db9713bfc9e8701.jpg

• Like 1

With the gfb reg held up in Victoria all week I decided to try drill the old reg and see what happens. Opened the hole up to 4mm and popped it back in. The car idles fine all the way up to operating temp and no bad idle at all. Looms like it has fixed my problem. Will still be fitting the gfb reg anyways.

While the car was coming up to temp a fitted the wheels and got her back on the ground fitted a few more taxi related stickers..

Its basically ready for a rego check now.1ac85dc5a6812ed2f250dd8615fa7b98.jpg366248ef79f6d3289868c815773d9998.jpgba2862f4d93fe6dda5fe04af2834ab8a.jpg

Car is getting closer to its inspection... Luckily I have access to the hoist after hours while everyone has gone home so tonight I managed to change engine oil, replace the rear brakes, start flushing the trans with gulf western, fit the gfb adjustable reg and an anti static strap for laughs... I applied for an unregistered vehicle permit so I can legally drive the car to work on it.

First impressions of the fg turbo are good, spools heaps quicker but tried just once or twice and then just cruised it.

The transmission still isn't happy, I'm going to flush it a few more times and the final flush will be a sump off, genuine valve body and adaptor seals, filter and gasket job. If this doesn't sort it I will see how things go when its on the dyno and tuned up. Maybe cms has an idea of what's going, possibly do a relearn I dunno we will see soon enough.

I mainly wanted to get it on the hoist to replace the front crank seal but on further inspection its not leaking.. There's crap all over the sump which I cleaned and will inspect again before inspection.

506b6c593dffc63708164c4c83b0dfe3.jpg2f28c109b4f8ff74c120a8c9c91a5cc0.jpg5cecf5db834f28ba538cf91082aa5dc6.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah it is. Mostly setup to do tyres and mechanical not so much hardcore performance, dyno etc. They do have a wiz bang alignment machine though which I'm sure my car will be on at some stage.

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

More than enough for what you need out of it, for sure. Dyno you want a very experienced operator with this platform anyway.

• Like 1