My long term tidy up!

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 3m 20d

I am yeah. I was discussing with a buddy about cutting it shorter and stopping around the washer bottle to avoid a direct hit.

On 28/12/2019 at 2:25 AM, arronm said:
Washer.  Not from the turbo.

Is the cir-clip still on the wastegate actuator arm at the flapper.??

Cir clip is good to go and still attached.

Last round of work and I say good bye to the hoist and hello to the finest tool pro tools and jack stands that supercheap auto has to offer.

Rocker cover gasket was leaking and was rock solid so pretty time consuming to take out and clean up. All went well in the end. Got the turbo and heat shields back in after this with new gaskets.768710efbd50a756ad1fa929c2b2ef2a.jpg16c7d6ab70321420910882e2faac8ea4.jpg8e2742da56e56f56d1d392737197b8e1.jpg

• Like 1

I also came across the setup up that the previous owner did for the boost gauge. He's run a T but plugged the line the appears should be going to the blow off. Any reason why you would do such a thing? Should I pull the bolt out and connect back up?0d6ed1328a43695cd24ceb9250f8427a.jpg

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

putting a screw in the vacuum source for the BOV like that prevents the BOV from ever opening, effectively removing it from the system. Doing it that wya you don't have to worry about blocking off the pipes that go to each side of the BOV itself.

• Like 1

The transmission!

Now after last night road test, I'm not confident I put the right oil in. The best way to describe the trans is 'confused'. It did some strange things. If you cruise in D in second and start to give it some throttle, it changes to third and then to fourth very fast. Also in manual mode, taking of in first under 10kmh I feel like surge almost like it starts to slip out if gear and then back in. Needles to say, its not happy.

This morning I went back and did the level check procedure again and it took another 800ml of fluid.

On this morning road test, it drive much much much better but still not perfect. Cruising around in D and the changes were nice and smooth and no confusion. Taking off in 1st in manual still had that slip/jump feeling but not as bad.

At this stage I'm not sure what to do but I will have to look at it at a later stage. Maybe a full flush with some gulf western oil and replace the valve body and adapter seals too. I can see a manual gearbox swap in my future though.

putting a screw in the vacuum source for the BOV like that prevents the BOV from ever opening, effectively removing it from the system. Doing it that wya you don't have to worry about blocking off the pipes that go to each side of the BOV itself.
So no harm no foul? I will leave it as it is just tidy it up a little better.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d
1 minute ago, violetpop said:

The transmission!

Now after last night road test, I'm not confident I put the right oil in. The best way to describe the trans is 'confused'. It did some strange things. If you cruise in D in second and start to give it some throttle, it changes to third and then to fourth very fast. Also in manual mode, taking of in first under 10kmh I feel like surge almost like it starts to slip out if gear and then back in. Needles to say, its not happy.

This morning I went back and did the level check procedure again and it took another 800ml of fluid.

On this morning road test, it drive much much much better but still not perfect. Cruising around in D and the changes were nice and smooth and no confusion. Taking off in 1st in manual still had that slip/jump feeling but not as bad.

At this stage I'm not sure what to do but I will have to look at it at a later stage. Maybe a full flush with some gulf western oil and replace the valve body and adapter seals too. I can see a manual gearbox swap in my future though.

Ditch that oil and get gulf western syn ts. 

Fill at 40c with engine running. 

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d
4 minutes ago, violetpop said:

So no harm no foul? I will leave it as it is just tidy it up a little better.

as long as it's done correctly, no worries. the two inch-sized pipes from the crossover should connect to the BOV and the vacuum source should be plugged at it's source and at the BOV side if you're going to have it setup this way