What does fuel surge sound/feel like?

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 2d
12 hours ago, Fgxmateee said:

Is surge fairly obvious when it occurs, or can you lean out and feel, hear or smell nothing?

Yep, it can lean and be destroying your engine. When you feel it , its way too late. 

• 1 year later...
  • Member For: 16y 7m 10d

bumping this thread rather than making a new one - not sure whether I had fuel surge today but the comment from gaz about 'going through the windscreen' sounds similar to what I felt. About 60km range so maybe 10L in the tank, WOT in first to redline, hard shift to second, then WOT again when it cut power abruptly, and heard a chirp from the rear tyres. Traction was off. I lifted off and then got back on it for a moment and it was fine. Tune is pretty mild only 15psi / 335rwkw. Recently had an AI in-tank surge installed, would have thought that plus 10L fuel should be enough?

no pinging, but I don't normally run the tank this low (habit from before I had the surge module). It was pretty damn hot today too. I haven't put fuel in it so I'll give it another test tomorrow, just don't want to go damaging the engine by making it happen again.

got it to happen again today, ran 2nd to the top, shifted into 3rd, about half a second later it jolted twice pretty harshly. Felt like complete throttle cut. Filled up this afternoon and gave it a belt through first and second and it was fine. If I can get it to happen on a full tank I'll post again, but right now I'm thinking this expensive AI in-tank solution isn't doing its job...

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m
On 21/03/2021 at 8:07 PM, furiousgibbon said:

just don't want to go damaging the engine by making it happen again.

25 minutes ago, furiousgibbon said:

got it to happen again today, ran 2nd to the top, shifted into 3rd, about half a second later it jolted twice pretty harshly.

Dude. Drive gently until you get it sorted.

• Like 3