Tail shaft and ims upgrade

Slowxr6t

• Member For: 5y 3m 24d

Ok thanks keith, I could live with that.

@cat007 yea had opportunity to go to drags the other day, but had a think about it and realised because when I take off in 2nd in tiptronic it rolls off the line then lights up the tires until I back off, it could be pointless drag racing it because I wouldn't be able to get up it till after 80kmh in 2nd gear so would be a slow run not showing anywhere near its potential. And if I put stickys on it something will go bang and I wont be driving home either. Awesome fun car though, puts a smile on my face.

• Member For: 5y 6m 24d

I never had much luck taking off in 2nd!

Oh they are so much fun man!

I was surprised how well I was able to get it to hook in 1st gear once boost came in on 'cheap' 245's with a terrible 1.9 second 60' - ran a 12.9. That was stock and pre-tune so no launch control - just holding on stall converter at about 2,00rpm.

Really would love to see what sort of a time a faster 60' will do, and having an extra 130-ish rwkw from stock (now 350rwkw). Would like to think an 11 second pass is easily achievable...

Edited by cat007
60' time wrong

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 19d

Factor in that the IMS diff hat you do once but even a superpro bush will need replacing and so the higher up front IMS cost is well offset by not having to keep dropping the diff and putting new bushes in.

I think id replaced superpro bushes a couple of time before I said fuc|

• Member For: 17y 10m 3d

To be honest, I have had no increase in NVH with my IMS hat. I love it...

I'll be pulling my cradle again soon, to install the true-Trac that I've had here for 18 months. This time, I will be machining the IMS hat to facilitate a O'ring seal.  I have done very few km's in the car and it is weeping around the hat, despite using 3 bond during installation. I really think that IMS should consider this option with their hats...

Just my 2 cents..

• Like 1

• Member For: 5y 3m 24d

@HI PSI is your standard diff centre stuffed? Or why are you replacing it?, also I'm just trying to figure out what you meant about sealing the dif hat, are you getting a half circle shaped slot, or a square slot machined in the sealing surface, and what sort of o ring will you get and where would you get it, would it have to be a custom made seal? I'm wondering if your diff hat has a perfectly flat surface and may need machining flat and maybe the diff surface too? Was the diff leaking stock? Maybe use more 3 bond in a circular motion too. My 2 cents worth also. Cheers 

• Member For: 17y 10m 3d

I'm  the kind of guy who constantly improves his vehicle and to be honest, it's  the last standard/unmodified part on the car. As the cover is weeping, I  plan on rectification instead of repetition.

There is nothing wrong with the centre, cover, or the way that we applied the 3 bond.  The car does make considerable power/torque and we think that this is causing torsion flex in the cover. This is likely compounded, being a manual car.  

You are correct in saying that we are planning on machining a slot in the cover, to facilitate an o'ring seal. Seal slot will be square. Diameter of the o'ring is determined by slot depth and width. An o'ring can easily be made to length and joined.

Cheers.

Brad

Edited by HI PSI