What turbo options will I have for 800-1200hp

ken666

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 2m 28d

Hey guys

I have completed the bottom end of my new upgrade for my BA.

I am still new to the turbo world, and don't really trust dealers when it comes to getting advice on buying such upgrade parts to suit my build (as I have often seen commissions, brand preference and other factors come influence their recommendations).

So here it is.

The bottom end has been completely upgraded using these parts

fully balanced nitrided and polished ford crank, Spool H-beam Pro drag rods with 7/16'' arp bolts, CP forged 9.0:1 pistons (10 thou oversize), A full stud kit and moly girdle, block was sonic tested and cylinder walls all very close to 160 thou thick (minimum), an upgraded timing chain kit using BMW Chain & new gears that have all been nitrided, the rotating assy was fully balanced with both auto and manual flywheels and 2 different balancers (forged).

The setup was built to be safe to rev past 8500 rpm, and handle well over 1200hp.

The head has oversize exhaust valves, has been ported and has been fitted with a pair of custom crow cams that should make quite noticeable gains after 800hp  according to my tuner.

The fuel system is still not completely selected yet as I am still looking how big to go. But there are triple fuel pumps 2x walbro & 1 bosch (good for lots more than I will need!)

Still unsure whether the 1500cc injectors will be enough? (any thoughts guys?)  

It has a nizpro plenum fitted with 80mm throttle body, and will have a 6 boost exhaust manifold that runs into a 4'' John Bowe racing exhaust with twin 4'' cats etc.

So where does that leave me for turbo options?

I will have to consider running a tune for 98 fuel, as the availability of E85 can limit options when taking it on a trip, but I plan to tune it on E85 with around 35psi give or take a couple psi.

With hopes to produce around 1000 rear wheel hp.

Have I missed anything?

cheers guys opinions and proven numbers would be great to help me match the right parts first time.

Cheers Ken

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

those injectors won't be enough with 1500cc for 1000hp on E85, but might get there with 98. do the BSFC calculation for injectors/fuel system pressure online.

• Like 1

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 1m 17d
1 hour ago, ken666 said:

The fuel system is still not completely selected yet as I am still looking how big to go. But there are triple fuel pumps 2x walbro & 1 bosch (good for lots more than I will need!)

What system is this? I wouldn't assume triple pumps as being too much pump by a long shot, wouldn't expect to see a mix of brands though

https://www.raceworks.com.au/calculators/injector-hp-calculator/

Agree with k31th on injectors, 2000s woudl be more on the money

Who will be tuning it? Ask them their injector preference as it can make a big difference

• Member For: 17y 10m 4d

800-1200 hp is quite a broad range. What use is the vehicle intended for, as this will likely dictate what turbo you should utilise. Auto or a Manual transmission??

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 2m 28d

I have no serious intentions for the car once its finished. I would like to be able to enjoy it on the weekends and on club days at the track occasionally (circuit and strip).

I will be fitting a Magnum 6 speed manual once my current T56 becomes tired or very broken!

The car is only running 245/30/20's on the street, so I'm a little more optimistic that the box won't explode under pressure too easily, if its given a little bit of respect until I build up the savings again to get the new magnum box.

I have already dropped the diff ratio to 4.1:1 when I fitted the custom built rear end, so that will help reduce lag when using a bigger huffer.

I will be getting Justin at Blacktrack to do the tuning, Kevin from Pryce racing engines is the one that helped me out with designing the engine package. 

He has built quite a few that have dynoed well over 1200hp using very similar packages to mine.

I didn't think the 1500cc injectors were going to be enough, as according to my earlier calculations  they were going to peak at 1050ish hp, that would only be flywheel, and then they need to factor in the 20-30% more required to run E85.

On 17/12/2019 at 5:35 PM, camo86T said:

What system is this? I wouldn't assume triple pumps as being too much pump by a long shot, wouldn't expect to see a mix of brands though

Twin Walbro 416's & Bosch 044.... should be plenty of fuel!

^This is the bit I don't get... walbro 416/460 etc is intank/submersible, 044 is external.

Single 416 in the tank as a lift pump, and dual 044 surge tank pumps is more likely, though on e85 this is 'only' a 560rwkw setup. Any case, 044s are old hat now and not rated for continuous e85 use. Pierburgs seem to be the go to these days for external e85 pumps.

Huh learn something every day...didn't realise that

Though I doubt you'd bother when the walbro flows over double the 044, handles e85 continuously, is far quieter and a bit cheaper to boot...

Edited by camo86T