Turbo Territory losing power.

DavidF

• Member For: 4y 4m 17d

I am new to the forum and have just purchased a 2007 AWD turbo territory with 100k km on the clock.

I have noticed that mostly under full throttle and when the gear changes form 1st to 2nd the car cuts and feels like it has run out of fuel. I have also noticed this has happened at 4000 RPM as well.

The car runs and feels very good except for what is mentioned above.

I have serviced the car hoping it was a blocked fuel filter.

I am not sure what exactly has been done to the car and will list what I know below.

3 inch Exhaust 

Air intake box 

ECU tune

Was told that it got 280kw on the dyno.

Any suggestions as to what steps I should take to fix this problem?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 13d

yep, take it back to where it was tuned and get it run up on the dyno to check on the boost level as it sounds like it's getting too high... if you can't be bothered doing that, then bypassing the boost control solenoid is a way to ensure the boost comes on as slow as possible to the limit of the wastegate actuator and then you can eliminate bits and pieces this way.

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 7m 28d

Golden rule of buying used modified car as far as Im concerned. Get it up on a dyno and check those AFR's , duty cycles, pressures etc. You might have got a bargain, but for a couple hundred more you'll either know you got a great bargain, or managed to avoid a big fix by spending small money on a small fix. I hope you got a great bargain!

The car has been taken back to the tuner and he said that the ECU is set to protect the car from damage and that's the causing the car to cut out.

How would I bypass the boost control solenoid?

Edited by DavidF

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

ok, well the tuner should have been able to replicate the conditions which cause it to go into the "protection mode" that he referenced and then be able to find the mechanical reason for it or fix to tune to take it into account.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

if you want to bypass the boost control solenoid, you just take the pipe that goes from the nipple at the front of the turbocharger and then connect it to the nipple on the wastegate actuator.

• 2 weeks later...

I bypassed the boost control solenoid and under light acceleration the car lost power and splattered. 

I rang up who I was led to believe to be the tuner and spoke to him about the cars performance.  He said he was just the person doing the RWC and dose not have a dyno!!