Turbo Territory losing power.

DavidF

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 6d

about 5psi is stock for a BA equivalent TT (can't remember the equivalent models), probably about 7spi for BF equivalent etc.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 17d

Everything I've read points toward it hitting boost cut and perhaps the occasional knock retard.

My advice is to take it to someone who can put a wide band on it and check/adjust the tune.

If you are planning the upgrades you've posted about it will need a retune anyway. Doing it all at the same time will save a few bucks.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 6d

the only problem with your suggestion is tuners don't like to book dyno time without the car being basically completely ready for it... so as long as you set expectations I guess that's a reasonable pathway

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I spose you could throw plugs and coils at it first. It's a fairly cheap way to rule out those things, plus you get a new set of plugs and coils to boot.

If that doesn't sort it then yerp, get it checked.

• Member For: 4y 4m 9d

We bought the car so I can do some work on it but I got cold feet as I have not worked on cars in 25 years.

My problem is that I know nothing about turbos. I am learning fast considering I never knew what a plenum was not long ago

I pulled off the turbo today so this has boosted my confidence and I look forward to do some more mods on the car myself.

I hope to put together a final list this week.

Edited by DavidF

Put around 3-5 PSI in the actuator and it worked fine.

After I tested I thought that I should of tested the actuator with the wastegate on.

Unsure what the next step should be.

Edited by DavidF

I plan to install new plugs and coils but I am not sure if this is the cause of the over boost fault.

Besides getting it tuned, what else can I inspect while the car is in pieces?

Edited by DavidF

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Faulty plugs and coils can cause similar symptoms to overboosting. Soft valve springs will do the same.

Check the vacuum lines to the actuator and boost solenoid for cracks or splitting.

If you could tune it yourself you could check the tune and adjust it to see if it is overboosting or not. It could be this and might not need coils and plugs.

Since that option is off the table, you start with plugs, drive it and see if it's fixed. If not, swap coils and repeat. You may as well so both of these together as it is fairly inexpensive and you'll save time.

If still no good then you take it to someone who can adjust the tune. If still no good with the boost controller adjusted in the tune, I'd be looking at valve springs.

This is to fix it for now. If you are planning on doing all the mods to get it to over 300, swap the plugs and coils and just drive it to the place doing the work/tune, then pick it up when it's done.

The current problems don't need solving if it's getting modded and tuned as they'll be fixed in the process... Unless the valve springs are the culprit and they don't get changed.

Anyhow hopefully this helps and let us know how you get on.

• Like 1