zf 6 speed oil to air cooler temps

DakotaWebber

• Member For: 4y 6m 26d

Hi All,

After swapping in a new transmission to my NA G6E, im going to get the trans shop to change the factory unit (which is what killed my last trans, woo hoo zf milkshake yo) to an oil to air cooler to prevent the chance of water getting in the box.

Seeing as im N/a and dont thrash the life out of my box, would my temps be fine? are there recorded temps on the site that people have after a similar setup?

should I install a thermo switch/fan in case im sitting in heavy traffic? I have an OBDII connector for my phone so I will try to find the trans temp PID (Torque Lite, does anyone know the details of this? should I get the paid version?) so I can hopefully monitor the temps, however I am confident in installing a temp sensor and or fan if need be myself.

Thanks

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 14d

it'll be fine to put in basically any trans cooler setup.

it won't need a fan as you won't be pushing the trans hard when you're sitting in traffic.

have a read of this thread for the trans temp monitoring PID etc.

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2d

As a reference, I have a thermo switch on mine to kick in at 85 degrees, and a light to tell me when it does.

In the past year, I reckon it has been on twice. Once on a 40 degree day after a long drive when I was circling the car park. The other was giving it a hard time in low gears through mountains on a warm day. But my car is turbo and modified, and the cooler is inside the bumper in front of the driver's side front wheel. And with the factory heat exchanger imagine you'd be seeing temps over that anyway.

NA car with the cooler in front of the radiator - no worries at all with no fan.