Over boosting

Locko90

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 8m 6d

While not exactly on topic, I've also become concerned with the high rpm my stock bottom end FG gets to on occasions. I monitored a pull today in 1st (auto) which spun the treads at about 5000 rpm up to what is a potentially a dangerous level. It seems the limiter has been disabled. Engine was at operating temp. The Atomic oil pump gears could be earning their keep.

RPM.png.5f8619a6d6e082506e9076ee65f0aa41.png

Engine was off when screenshot was taken, so not sure about the number 154, but I did eyeball the needle getting to around 6500.

So something tells me I betta get get this mess sorted, as there was no barf from the IWG or nasty cut or anything holding it back. In reality, knowing previous owner was a HP junkie. He prolly wanted everything he could get from the T, before he got rid of it. The thing has been recently retuned (less timing/more fuel) and for a few days the IWG was making things a bit boring, but all that seems to have gone by the wayside. I don't really understand anything about what is going on apart that it sounds and feels great and it gunna end in tears.

Thoughts? apart from check TS IWG spring/tensioning and 6200rpm limit and/or learn to drive normallyish.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

the 5000 isn't too bad for wheelspin as long as you don't keep the throttle buried at this point... it's not unusual for a car to flare revs a bit on an auto in 1st with high power.

• Donating Members

Yeah well that's the thing, problem with common sense is that it is not that common. The car mostly can't spin the tyres much after said retune. The road was bone dry and I don't do skids as such.

Maybe if I think about the consequences a bit more, I'll exercise a bit of revout interruptus via the right foot. I wonder if I would go built? 

Thanks K31th

Edited by Wyatt
Thanks

• Donating Members

Hmm, The ZF usually holds same gear for a few seconds after backing off and then changes up, but moreso in higher gears. I think it changed up as soon as I was off the gas on this occasion. That would suck if it was the the trans spinning. There was no stepout like if often does, but it was a dual lane dead flat road. I've noticed only a hand full of times that it flares slightly when cold on low load, I do warm things up before being spirited. I do drive heavy vehicles with Allison boxes and they will do that sometimes when cold.

ZF service if def on the cards very soon. Last 10000Klms of cars life, no doubt, would have been hectic. Have been procrastinating about trans coolers and whether to go GW or LG6, but that's for a more relevant thread, I guess. Just gotta do it.

Edited by Wyatt
Spelling

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 10m 19d

was this in manual shift mode or auto?

id say your tuner needs to look into your shift points and id be questioning why the limiters charged from 6k.

in my own experience getting more power from the engine means smashing redline on the shifts, so the shift points need to be turned down or shift speed needs to be increased. to go over 6k they would have tuned it like that, with good/bad reasons.

I met a lad recently who had a manual e series with barra and t56, he told me he set the redline higher so he wouldn't be sitting on limiter while skidding, he was worried about the pump gears.

• Donating Members

Was in drive, haven't really explored performance mode. Don't think it would make any difference in this one.

Shift points/shift speed are a good tip to be explored in next tune. Cheers @BeerTurbo.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 25d

@Wyatt Mate, I'm unsure who tuned or tunes your car but I can seriously recommend either TMS (John Ryan "JR" will tune it) in Townsville or David Sheehy at CPV Tuning in Mackay. 

CPV just bought a 2000hp hub dyno so hook in...

There is also Paul Morel at Xtreme Motorsport in Townsville, he is also an extremely talented tuner (has been since I've known him, 2005) BUT I don't know him as well with the barra engines as I do Dave and JR... Paul tunes Kent Battles now XD Falcon plus others but most up this way would know of Kent and his adventures. 

Either way do some research but pretty sure they all now have PCMTEC and SCT (XCAL).

TMS have VCM also for the Ford. 

Hope this helps... 

Cheers, 

Brett

• Donating Members

Cheers @bjc, Thanks for the heads up with your valuable experience re tuning options in FNQ. I do have a place to stay in Townsville and some hols next year, so will do some research on your suggestions.

This newb appreciates words of wisdom from more experienced enthusiasts and that's a nice piece of open road between Cairns and Townsville.

Rob

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 25d

@wyatt no worries mate. Although I own an F6X I've been out of the scene for a number of years but still keep a watch and follow everything from a distance...I do help when I can with previous knowledge on here or some Facebook groups although sometimes they can be tiresome!
@broke is another member who was a regular with Xtreme Motorsport so if he is still active here maybe contact him for some current updates? I might still have his mobile number actually so will check also as he worked across the road from Paul...