Best replacement for standard rear shocks

Stealth-T

• Member For: 5y 2m 28d

It's time to replace the rear shocks on my mk2. What is the recommendation for a a standard replacement that is same or slightly better than stock?

I've looked around a little bit and seen too many options, but on the more affordable end seems to be koni reds or KYB?

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 2m 11d

Koni reds aren't the cheapest but wayyyy better than stock

For a cheap-ish replacement, kyb's or monroe GTs  (@MattyP you still have these in your G6ET?)

If your rears are on the way out your fronts won't be far behind, makes sense to change them all at the same time.

At $400-500 total on ebay etc you can hardly justify not going F+R

• Member For: 5y 2m 28d

Yeah I was thinking the Koni's would be better for performance, but lugging around people they might complain if it's a bit firm.

Was thinking along the same lines with replacing F+R. While I'm looking at it I may even go so far as diff bushes if superpro are still the go-to...

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1d

I put King Springs and KYB shocks in my BA to replace the factory gear and was really happy with the improvement.

My FG is light years ahead of that, but is a generation newer chassis-wise, and has Lovells springs, Koni Reds and Whiteline sway bars - so impossible to tell which is making the difference.

If you are fitting it yourself, you can do the KYB/Kings for under $800 (or just keep your current springs). New front springs are very difficult to compress with home style spring compressors, so may have to factor in dropping them off somewhere to get them assembled. Other than that, the job is a piece of cake. Rears springs and shocks come out separately and the front assemblies are pretty easy to remove.

• 1 month later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 9m 1d

Was sniffing around under the car and noticed the ssl kings springs looking a bit, errr, weird. Read somewhere during searches, ssl kings can ruin stock shocks, no idea if shocks are standard or not.

Doesn't make any annoying noises. Is this something that will need attention soon or good to go?

IMG_20200107_105657.jpg