Xr6 turbo stalling under boost

Westo T

• Member For: 4y 5m 7d

Hi all so I’m new to the xr6 t family, I bought an xr6 t for a work car and it does have 250xxx kms on the clock.

scan tool detected multiple error codes such as knock sensor and 2x codes for lean and rich on bank 1, got it home and discovered the knock sensor unplugged so I plugged it back in, idles a bit better but still runs up to sh*t when boosting only when revs reach 5000rpm then runs like it’s in 4x cylinders, natural thought of the rich and lean error codes was to replace O2 sensor (replaced with new genuine sensor) and now only the 1 code comes up as lean in bank 1 (only when boosting over 5000 rpm) possible fuel pump problem??

The knock sensor code keeps coming back even  when I clear all the codes but only when boosting past 5000rpm and the car runs sh*t (turn ignition off and start up again seconds after it plays  up and runs fine but it’s still logs the error code for knock sensor)

the turbo makes a grinding howling sort of noise when spooling  up and on boost but holds pressure (7 psi as no tune or any other modifications) lubed the boost solenoid and car reaches 6000rpm now before it starts breaking down and running rough, spark plug gap was standard at 0.9ml as standard as they come so I closed the gap to 0.8ml (imo that’s good  for low boost situations), car drives perfect when boosting or cruising only under the 5000rpm range so I’ve almost eliminated other possibility’s I.e sensors and I’m leaning towards valve springs but the fact that the car starts perfectly and drives perfect after starting immediately after it runs rough is leaving me in doubt.. please help... no boost leaks, no exhaust leaks, clean exhaust with a standard cat 

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 2m 12d
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Member For: 4y 5m 7d

Turned out to be valve springs mixed with over boost protection, previous owner put a 12 pound actuator on without a tune, got it all up to scratch but I’m not sure how long the other bloke was driving it for on 12 psi and motor is up for a rebuild now