BA engine cutting out at lights.

Danny_

• Member For: 4y 4m 15d

Hi guys, I own a 2003 BA Ghia and it's recently developed an issue where it randomly stalls / cuts out in traffic on a daily basis. (usually stopped at lights) 

It won't cut out on the way to the station but 90% of the time on the way home. 

I have looked up the issue on various forums and there have been lots of answers as such. 

This is what I have done so far and it has not seemed to work. 

Replaced pre cat o2 (no voltage readout) 

Replaced TPS

Replaced spark plugs

Reset ecu

Added extra ground wires to aroud the ecu and body to engine. 

I have not been getting any codes on the obd reader and had it connected while the car cut out and no codes appeared. 

Cheers. 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

could be the PCV valve... are there any other symptoms at all other than the revs dipping too low and the car stalling?

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

• Like 1

Hi,

Revs dip low and just cuts out. It only seems to happen when it's hot (drive back home in the arvo) 

Normal rpm is about 750 and occasionally drops to 600 at idle but there is no warning when it cuts out.

5 days later and no stalling, I replaced the PCV and breather tube but now run accross anither issue.

Gearbox goes into limp home mode and eventually lose drive. Some days and it drives fine the others. 

Gearbox oil is nice and red and to the correct level (topped up an extra 500ml via oil cooler lines) and yet it cuts out and makes a strange whirring noise in N/P by the sounds of it maybe solinoids are getting stuck on? 

link is for the codes it throws up. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5Nevq4cd1N8TAFQM7

Not used to cars with an computer /PCV  / automatic transmission. 

Give me a 50 year old cabie manual car any day 😂

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

When you say it is at the correct level, but you topped it up via the cooler lines, how did you check the level?

The filler plug is the correct way to check the level and if it was low you would fill it there too until fluid trickled out.

Too little and too much fluid can both cause issues, so I would be first confirming the fluid level and that the fluid is the correct type.

How old is the fluid?

I took the nut off and fluid came pouring out so I topped it back up with about 200ml then I undid the union for the oil cooler and put in about 300ml in there.  It was serviced 3 years about but only has done about 8000km since then. Oil doesn't smell burnt and is red.

If I over filled it I might buy a new filter and gasket and try a clean change.