BF MKII Aftermarket Driveshaft (Quality one?)

Scrotus

• Member For: 15y 7m 15d

The BF has started making a clunk at low speed with more than 1/4 pedal down. I've checked the wheel bearing (which is only a year old) and seems fine. Checked the CV/Shaft no leaks or damage. It does however move horizontally about 1/4 of an inch either way. The Right however has zero movement. I think the movement seems fine though given there is a sound perhaps not. Also strange how one has no movement and the other a fair bit.

I'm going to change the Drive shaft on spec - but having trouble finding a decent quality aftermarket one. The best choice so far seems maybe a Repco one as they have the 2 year warranty on CV / 5 Year on shaft. Though another post on here did mention that the boots are to high up and wear out from the shock. 

Any advice on which drive shafts to order?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

repco ones are fine. haven't heard of them wearing out quickly other than through too much power haha

but the clunk is often either the diff bush or the tailshaft centre bearing.

• Thanks 1

I heard on here that the boot was to high up so the shock cuts through - this was a post from few years back so perhaps just a bad batch. Hrm, the cluck is from the back left , sounds right at  the wheel. I've had the diff bushes done 5 years ago the visually look ok - center bearing is original with 220K, might have to check that out before changing the CVs

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

5 years ago is a long time for the diff bush... I'd definitely get a better look at it to be sure there's no issues there... and of course you can check on the tailshaft centre bearing while you're underneath :)

On 05/11/2019 at 9:11 PM, k31th said:

repco ones are fine. haven't heard of them wearing out quickly other than through too much power haha

but the clunk is often either the diff bush or the tailshaft centre bearing.

Thanks for the heads up. Checking the center bearing and it is moving all over the joint, clunking around. Can anyone suggest aftermarket bearing or just best to go genuine?