DOHC conversion on a el fairmont

• Member For: 4y 5m 15d

Hello,

This discussion has probably been discussed many of time but I am looking for information on the best way to go about converting the engine and running gear in my automatic 1998 el Fairmont to a Dohc barra engine and manual transmission. Which engine is easiest to fit ba, bf, fg? Which manual transmission should I be aiming for t5, t56, tr6060? Wants involved with wiring and ECU. Practically looking for all information on how to get this build done the easiest way possible. I'm not rich either so will be on a tight budget. 

Any information will be greatly appreciated cheers 

• XR50T
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 27d

Go FG with tr6060. All the motors are 90% the same but the fg tr6060 is a bit bigger.

You should be able to get the factory FG ECU unlocked to run it but getting the Speedo/ABS to work as you want would be fun.

I'd go with a haltech but that would be costly.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

This is not really a project you can do on a tight budget unless you have tools/skills to get it done and access to the right people/software to get it all working electrically.

• Member For: 10y 5m 27d

If your handy with the tools and have welders grinders and a decent amount if workshop tools it's not a big job for cheap but if you have to pay anyone for any work being fab,wiring, tuning well it will end up costly.

Run down on what's required to make it fit in the car. You'll need a ba/bf sump if you end up going with a fg engine. Need to either cut the front of the sump to clear the k frame or cut and box the k frame to clear the sump. You'll have to drill out the holes in the engine mounts to drop the engine ~10mm and also cut the bonnet brace above the rocker cover so the bonnet will close.

Gearbox if you go t56/tr6060 you'll need custom gearbox crossmember plus cut out the shifter hole 100mm further back which also makes the shifter come out right below the window switches so you'll have to make a custom dogleg shifter to navigate around the switches and sit out the El shifter hole. Will need to get a falcon clutch pedal and pull the EL pedal box out and mount the Barra hydraulic pedal on the side. You can get away with using the standard ford clutch fluid line with abit of bending and drill a hole in the firewall for routing. Also need a custom tailshaft obviously.

Wiring for the conversion isn't hard if you want to keep the ba dash cluster and modify it to fit in the EL dash. If you want to keep the El dash well then you will have to do a lot more wiring as you need both ecus in the car plus the EL water temp, oil pressure sensors. There's plenty of write ups around of what you need to do to make the Barra ecu standalone wiring wise plus how to disable PATS to make it run.

That's a basic run down of what's needed but you'll also need to add a speed pickup (shiftkits do a good one that can mount to the standard borgwarner diff)

If you have all the tools to do it yourself it could be done for the cost of finding and engine and box plus ~3k but if you need to pay someone to make it all happen I doubt you'll see any change from 10k+