Power output on 98 octane before going E85

Eather40

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 18d

I think op wants to know what a typical gain is on E85 conversions 

the answer is twice as long as it’s half ....

more information please OP 

a Maxed out FG turbo will go from 330rwkw to 350rwkw 

a maxed out BA/BF will go 380rwkw to 440rwkw 

a maxed out full build with big turbo could go 400rwkw to 500rwkw 

its a hardware dependent answer 

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 22d

Oh.  I thought he was asking about my E85 commodore. 

I went from 407 on 98 to 480 on E85.  Just injectors ,  pump, regulator and tune. Factory turbo 

But typical say 60 rwkw on ford big turbo.

• Haha 1

• Member For: 5y 1m 5d

Sorry guys that was a pretty vauge question. I've been told that for a modified fg you wouldn't want to make much more than 400rwkw on 98 otherwise you can start causing damage to the engine. I'm wondering if this is true and in what way e85 would be better and if it's not true what kind of power and reliability are people seeing from a 98 fed car

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d
2 hours ago, Eather40 said:

Sorry guys that was a pretty vauge question. I've been told that for a modified fg you wouldn't want to make much more than 400rwkw on 98 otherwise you can start causing damage to the engine. I'm wondering if this is true and in what way e85 would be better and if it's not true what kind of power and reliability are people seeing from a 98 fed car

that's basically true for an FG F6 turbocharger (or a BA/BF one), as it maxes out around 400rwkw... of course 98 puts more stress on an engine as it needs to run higher boost than E85 for equivalent power, but realistically, once you're up over 400rwkw, any fuel is going to cause premature wear to an engine... E85 is just better for cylinder pressures overall as you can run timing changes instead of just heaps of boost. If you run a good quality tune and you maintain the car, a 98 tune is perfectly fine to run with as much power as you're willing to make with an upgraded turbo :) E85 will just make the same power easier but at the cost of fuel economy and fuel station convenience.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 22d

Timing and boost, which is governed by fuel. The more of each the more power. Ford big turbo can be pushed past 400 on 98. But if you want more may as well go E85. BUT it you want to stay with 98 just get a bigger turbo.

Here is 400rwkw on 98 at 15psi, factory BF F6 turbo. We could push this past 20psi on this engine, reduce timing, but lower boost is better. 

You probably want to stay at about 18psi for unopened engine. 

X1hngqX.jpg

Edited by arronm

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 5m 16d

all bolt ons stock turbo 98 was 388rwkw E85 went to 420RWKW stock oil pump no head studs. CV, Diff and transmission will be the first things that die.