Alpine AV plan

Rosey

• 2 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 19d
Sorry I’m not on the Aust ford forum.
So far my icc is still plugged in as normal and I haven’t touched the main connector. This idea to get the icc display up to the alpine ILX-007 is basic with average results, but it shows the climate controls . And it shows the CD display , which is good as I’m running it into the Alpine via the AUX input. No I haven’t touched the cga. 

Hey mate any update on how you went about getting that displayed? I wondered if u just jammed a camera in front of the screen tucked away but having it reversed in one photo made me think your playing with the screen output somehow. Really keen on any info u can provide?

Also if u or anyone would happen to have a kayhan wiring harness laying around from an old kayhan install or if theres any insider audio industry stuff on how to make a proper harness. this is really one of the last bits that would be nice to tidy up. I track my car and everything seems solid now in the icc plug but ive had a couple things come loose once or twice

• Member For: 4y 6m 7d

Hi Bullet !

yes you are right - I was trying some reverse cameras in front of the screen, with the plan of located the screen underdash. Yes it’s primitive ....and I’m a bit embarrassed ..... but I haven’t found anything else that worked. The reverseddisplay was a camera that would not mirror the image.😕 Getting pointers from another harness was also my plan, and there is another brand coming out with a different climate display, so modifications in the future was on the cards. Sorry I can’t help you to progress any further with the display interface, but keep trying 😃

• Member For: 20y 4m 25d

Thought some of you might be interested in the fascia I have started making for mine. I didn't want to invest the money in the mk2 surround and then end up upgrading when the double din kit comes out. 

This is the standard low end trim with a 3d printed trim to go on the front of it. I need to paint mine gloss black to match the rest of the icc. 

20200722_062941.jpg

• Like 2

On 17/07/2020 at 5:01 PM, Bulletime said:

Hey mate any update on how you went about getting that displayed? I wondered if u just jammed a camera in front of the screen tucked away but having it reversed in one photo made me think your playing with the screen output somehow. Really keen on any info u can provide?

Also if u or anyone would happen to have a kayhan wiring harness laying around from an old kayhan install or if theres any insider audio industry stuff on how to make a proper harness. this is really one of the last bits that would be nice to tidy up. I track my car and everything seems solid now in the icc plug but ive had a couple things come loose once or twice

I might be able to 3d print one for you. Which pins are you using on the plug?

• Like 1

• Donating Members
Thought some of you might be interested in the fascia I have started making for mine. I didn't want to invest the money in the mk2 surround and then end up upgrading when the double din kit comes out. 

This is the standard low end trim with a 3d printed trim to go on the front of it. I need to paint mine gloss black to match the rest of the icc. 

20200722_062941.thumb.jpg.49d453e91992ca8981b8880ade5aae8e.jpg

Hey mate that's looks awesome great job!! Keen to see that fully installed! Once u have it finished would you be willing to share your file? I had thought 3d printing would come up with the cleanest setup but I dont have a 3d printer, I have a mate who bought one recently so might be time to play if urs is a good base. Is urs a mk2 or fg? What size is the screen?

Hi Bullet !

yes you are right - I was trying some reverse cameras in front of the screen, with the plan of located the screen underdash. Yes it’s primitive ....and I’m a bit embarrassed ..... but I haven’t found anything else that worked. The reverseddisplay was a camera that would not mirror the image. Getting pointers from another harness was also my plan, and there is another brand coming out with a different climate display, so modifications in the future was on the cards. Sorry I can’t help you to progress any further with the display interface, but keep trying

Haha all good if it works and tbh its clean and still looks factory then u cant really complain. Theres other solutions on the other forums with an oled display off the arduino reading the hvac settings off the canbus but I want mine to look clean and factory. The hvac is simple enough to operate ive managed fine without a screen.

I was speaking to someone on another car audio forums once and that connector that's on the kayhan unit (and the factory icc, aka the acm plug) is only something that can be sourced and ordered in the thousands. I originally got one of these off someone and was thinking about making my own harness but on reflection as a noob solderer I was dreaming to think I could make it work. I ended up pulling the pins and soldiering those to the head units wiring harness so at the very least in the acm the connections themselves are in nicely they just dont have the extra holding pressure of the connector clicked into place. Early on I had one or two come loose but over time as ive reseated the odd one that came loose theyve stayed in solidly since. I even track my car however im afraid to hit the ripple strips and have any rattle out.

Other crazy ideas beyond finding someone with a kayhan one they have no need for has been maybe glue gun them in or even fire proof spray foam, just anything to secure them that little bit more. Otherwise a pcb on too of the connector could work and not be too hard.

Yeah the aerpro one ive seen shots of. Not a fan of the looks of it but its good there will be another option for ppl. If they sold a wiring harness like heaps of their other car facias and wiring thatd be sweet id buy one.

900178d9a756da545091bee21dd98f6e.jpg

Mine is a mk1 FG. I have the factory colour screen, but the trim panel I have used in the above photo is from a base model with the monochrome screen. The trim panel that surrounds the headunit is the only part that is 3d printed. You are more than welcome to the file, but I'm not sure if it will fit 100%. It is a perfect fit for the trim panel in the picture, but if I sit it over the colour screen trim, then it does not follow the same contours.

I have a spare that I have already printed if you wanted me to mail it to you?

Edited by bob^

I had to fit a Kenwood d/din unit to a vf comm yesterday, using a aerpro kit that made things easy. The canbus module sent all the climate control display info to the Kenwood via the rear camera input by telling the unit that the car was in reverse . Anyway it just pissed me off cos it worked well and  I can’t bloody get one for my FG 🤬

• Sad 1

• Donating Members
Haha yeah it sucks, surely they must be working on one, if I can figure out the wiring and canbus surely they can make one. Id possibly swap out my stuff if they got one working. I mainly want the plug and harness.

Mine is a mk1 FG. I have the factory colour screen, but the trim panel I have used in the above photo is from a base model with the monochrome screen. The trim panel that surrounds the headunit is the only part that is 3d printed. You are more than welcome to the file, but I'm not sure if it will fit 100%. It is a perfect fit for the trim panel in the picture, but if I sit it over the colour screen trim, then it does not follow the same contours.
I have a spare that I have already printed if you wanted me to mail it to you?
Ah all good mines in there good atm but interested to see where u go with it, it could be something I swap out long term. Thanks for the offer though!!

I might be able to 3d print one for you. Which pins are you using on the plug?
That would be wicked if u could design something up. Something that secures in the pins and clips then in solidly would be awesome. The pics themselves cant push in backwards because of their shape which prevented me being able to use the plug I have (see above). Really needs way to push them in and lock them so I dunno maybe an arm that comes from behind and clips then in if that makes sense. Sort of like what ive got above but cut in half at the right point and u could out the pins in individually then close it up and it would clip together and hold then in place. Or just any way that puts forward pressure into the plug in the car that clips and locks then in place

So I’ve yet to complete the Alpine upgrade with the factory display, steering wheel switches, and rear camera still to do. But the sound from the Alpine is definitely worth the effort! Better dynamic range and stereo separation , and the extra quality power has the original speakers working betterer. And with front/rear/sub rca out, a lot more can be done in the future. 
All this puts a smile on my face 😀

• Like 1