Boost gauge install

Locko90

• Member For: 5y 12d

Hey guys I've finally gotten around to trying too install this boost gauge I got off eBay.

When I went to put a t peice into the bov there was no vac line connected to it.

So I'm wondering where should the vac line from the bov go too? Then should I go ahead and install a t peice?

And also what's the best way to run the vac line through the fire wall?1bf36920d1256eeb1499716f3a06de92.jpg42fb8be291964720c3cba421dfec8fe0.jpg

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

There's an easy to use grommet if you look behind the glove box. poke a hole of appropriate size (slightly smaller than the vacuum reference hose for your boost gauge) and push the end of the vacuum line through the grommet and replace the grommet so it doesn't get much of an air leak (can be annoying if the hole is too big; you get some extra cabin noise from the engine bay).

Your BOV is not working at the moment if you have no vacuum line going to it (like pictured), so it'll just act like you've blocked the BOV (assuming the amount of boost you're running isn't enough to overcome the springs of the BOV and if it does you'll have a boost leak). With the open hole in the gold fitting directly below the BOV, it means you've had a vacuum leak since that hole has been open. Get a bit of tubing to connect from that gold bit, a t-piece for your boost gauge and then connect one end of the t-piece to the BOV's vacuum source and the other end to your boost gauge vacuum reference. If you're happy without the BOV's operation then forget the t-piece and just connect that gold piece hole directly to your vacuum source for the boost gauge.

good luck :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the fast reply mate

I went ahead and ran a t peice on the bov and lower vac connection below bov, then ran the vac line under dash and behind the BCM.

Gauge works good, im getting about 10 - 11 psi at about 4000rpm. Stock tune.

Next step would be where would I go about hooking up the wires for the light?89b2f008dc99a0c089046b1b4f38270f.jpg75956b302ccb6f5dc147dd2d42f1f311.jpg53cd8c1001bf3096f64a878c294e53ba.jpg

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

10-11psi isn't a stock tune on a BA/BF XR6T like you've got there, it's more like 6-8psi depending on model, so I'd say your car has been tuned or the gauge is inaccurate.

wires for the lights can come from the cigarette lighter if you want... get a variable potentiometer from somewhere like jaycar to adjust the brightness of the gauges to your liking if they're too bright... or if you like no lights while your headlights are off and lights on when your headlights are on, then wire the up to the headlight circuit (easiest bit to get to is just behind the fuse box)

Okay well it might be overboosting ? It does hit ecu cut in higher rpm or under more load (4th and 5th gear).

But I went ahead and installed the guage on the top of the centre console, I still need to get a guage holder.

Wired it to the cigarette lighter, works good is really bright at night though, I might end up getting that part from jcar f5f67d08c272f43ceb1e6a01b32aab59.jpgbef0a6db16651ade28947603ee885ce9.jpg

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

good job on getting it sorted :)

yeah, it's quite likely that it's overboosting if it's getting any boost cut at all. check the hose configuration etc for the boost control and then get it run up on a tuner's dyno to check out why and perhaps get a stock tune flashed into it.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 6y 2m 13d

Just an option for you - if you are happy to leave your factory gauge brightness in a set position you can simply colour in your boost gauge bulb with a nikko pen until you get the desired brightness to match your factory gauges. I did it as a temporary measure on my 4 gauges and it has been that way for over a year now...

Edited by 3Katz
Edit