Tips for converting to n/a to turbo

Matty_BF

• Member For: 5y 22d

Hi all, I’ve decided to turbo my 2007 n/a bf mkii (only mod is a 2.5” catback system), and I need some tips / things to look out when converting it.

On top of that, I’m on my green P’s, hence I’d also like to know how likely it’d be that I get noticed by cops and what I could do to be less suss.

Cheers guys!  

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 6d

sell it and buy a turbo. it's just not worth the effort/money/time.

wait until you have a full license as you WILL get caught.

if you REALLY want to do it, go through the N/A section on this forum and go through all of the threads where somebody has already done it and see if you still want to.

• Like 1

• Member For: 8y 6m 8d

Please don't do it. It isn't worth the time and money. You'll have issues further down the track, the motor won't like it for an extended period of time either...

Just wait and buy a T

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 11m 7d

BF turbo sedan dont cost a great deal these days, so it would be easier and possibly cost effective to buy one... back when he cost was still high for these things turbo an NA from parts was a cheap enough option that people would consider it.

Are you even allowed a turbo coon on green P's?

if your not, dont bother. you cant hide a turbo, you can make it look stock and nice and neat, but there no hiding it even from the most inept police officer. 

Its not overly hard to put the turbo setup on the Na motor, if it was me id do, ive done it a couple of times, but I dont know you so I cant say whats your capable of doing.

before you start though, its important to make sure you have another mode of transport, another car, mums car etc etc...cause if you get stuck and need to leave the car for a few days, you still need to get around / go get parts.

My first na+t, I did

- turbo fuel pressure reg

- turbo MAP / reverse the wiring as required.
- fitted turbo and exhaust manifold from BA, drilled an taped sump, used a 90 deg fitting to go from std oil drain.

- made my own intercooler piping and used generic intercooler. 

- exhaust was a stock ba down-pipe, stock ba cat pipe, gutted cat (dont do this) 3inch to rear.

- company to get pcm changed to more of a turbo map for startup

- after startup straight to dyno for tune - this is important.

so as all xr6t I ran into over-boosting due to the free flowing exhaust, xr6 injectors are small so if you over-boost you will run out of fuel, then you say goodbye engine.

so you need to keep this as close to stock as possible.

if you need more than stock, with a na+t run a different fuel. get yourself big boi injectors, proper tune and daily it on e85, if your in a area with no e85 on tap, dont bother pushing it,stay stock.

mine being manual needed HD clutch, if you have auto you need things like a cooler and proberly a turbo specs gbox if you push it.

then I went with bigger injectors, e85, external gate, 400 hp.

then I started smashing gearboxes, 3 t5z's

now im in the process of fitting a t56

all these things add up in time and $$$. but the engines been fine and its a 250 though km + sh*tter with std falcon no service history, all comes down to tuning.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member For: 12y 21d

I'm curious. is OP and people against the swap talking about strapping a turbo to the NA motor or swapping in a complete xr6t engine and accessories from a wrecker? I can understanding strapping a turbo to the na block being a no go but it seems to me the complete turbo engine swap could be a viable option for someone who has say already done a heap of other mods (suspension/cosmetic/stereos ect) to an na xr6 and now wants more power?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

even if you swap the entire engine, there's still a bunch of electrics, transmission, tailshaft, diff etc that are different in a turbo variant.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 7d

I’ve thought about doing a 2015 territory. No time or money atm though and it might just end up ruining it. It’s surprising how good the na barra actually is tbh. I enjoy driving the wife’s na territory even though I have a 400rwkw e85 daily fg. Stick the territory in performance and floor it everywhere it’s great!

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
17 minutes ago, Bulletime said:

Stick the territory in performance and floor it everywhere it’s great!

that's why slow cars can be good :) full throttle and you're not over the limit

but try that in your 400rwkw E85 daily FG :3gears:

• Like 1