Turbo side air box - too loud?

DennisS

• Member For: 12y 10m 26d

Hi forum - I’ve been bitten by the XR6t mod bug and have been quietly modding my car for a few years now. It’s got the usual stuff (dump pipe, cat, 3.5” exhaust, plasmaman I/c and pipes, chip and injectors). 

I’m trying to decide whether to take the next step and install a turbo side airbox. I’m attracted by the idea of improving efficiency and removing the convoluted factory piping from airbox to turbo. However, I’m concerned that the increased noise will prove too much for a daily driver and during long trips with the family. Initial research on this forum suggests there is no way to significantly reduce this noise - dynamat and pipe wraps have limited effect.

So my questions are:

1. Has anyone cracked the issue of noise associated with the turbo side air box and pod filter?

2. Does anyone have a turbo side set up I could quickly listen to first hand? I’m in North Brisbane and would be happy to give some $ for petrol/time.

Thanks

Dennis

Edited by DennisS

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 20d

My turbo side is very noisy on the BA F6. Bf F6 not too bad. Iam not sure why the difference. BF does have modified turbine housing.  Combined with a loud exhaust , not the best for a family daily. 

Thanks for your thoughts arronm. I guess I’ll just need to do the swap and see how it sounds. Should be a fun experiment, and if I can’t live with it I can always return it to stock. Not likely though...

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 6d

turbo side isn't too bad if you have a recirculated/vented BOV, otherwise it's gobble-gobble-gobble as you get off the throttle all day.

as long as you're not hammering it, the noise from the intake itself is not super loud.

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 4d

As soon as you've either replaced the stock air box or cut it open at the bottom you're gonna get so much more induction noise.

If you've already done that then turbo-side is the next logical step for actual performance gains but yeh soooo much more induction noise without the muffler and and the stock air box.

It's a trade off. Personal preference with how much 'noise' you want and if you wanna get that last 15-20hp out of ya setup.

Thanks for all your feedback. These forums are an amazing source of knowledge.

I’ll definitely plumb in the BOV. If it’s still too loud I’ll invest in some dynamat and foam.

Edited by DennisS