How to authenticate factory zf transmission

Bootstrap

• Member For: 7y 9d

Hi guys, I have a 2007 territory turbo and after some transmission issues I paid a guy to swap in a secondhand gearbox. Paid ababou1kt for the box plus 1k for Labour. 

Basically it still had the same issues still hangs up 3 to 4 shift and I think I've been had. I reckon he just fixed the leak it had and nothing more and didn't change the gearbox. But still charged me for it!

So if my suspicions are correct is there a way to tell if it still has the factory transmission either by serial numbers or by checking obd2 data?

What really arose my suspicion is he had no gearbox to give back to me rather he claims it had to be exchanged for the secondhand one. Doesn't make sense as to why the old box would need yo be exchanged for a secondhand one usually that's for rebuilt

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

Well, that might have been why it was so cheap, that the "exchange" dropped the price from a few thousand to just one thousand... but you also might have been given a dodgy. Just ask the guy who did it to confirm what happened and trace the receipts/purchase-history.

• Member For: 7y 9d

Thanks guys, I think what I'm trying to get here is a way to prove he didn't do what he said he did, Cos I believe he didn't change the box over at all. When I asked him where he got the box he wouldn't mention names of wreckers or anything so it's all a bit suss.

So if he did change the bos would he have to have a different TCU for it to work or can the one that belongs to the car run it with a flash tune?

• Member For: 8y 5m 20d

TCM has to be swapped over from the old gearbox, otherwise it won't communicate with the ECU.

On the drivers side of the zf there should be a sticker with the serial and part number of that box, check the number against the number on the build plate of the territory. 73ab1bd82ac35919469fe2f4672e6fe6.jpg

That's just an example