BF Mk 2, not unopened anymore, not stock turbo anymore

Tom Tucker

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 8m 27d

Yep, for your FG, the 5 bar and loom is what you want. 

The resolution refers to the number of cells below 0 manifold pressure that are available to input values against everything from fuel trim, ignition timing etc. The 4 bar would hunt around the smaller number of tuning cells, and consequently drove like arse. The Omni 5 bar has changed everything from idle, transient throttle, engine smoothness, ignition timing stability, fuel economy.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 27d
3 hours ago, hjtrbo said:

I'm still not clear on the Tmap part. I presume it was boost and throttle transients where the old way suffered????

Regardless, to confirm, I take it the new way ford is the 4 bar boost sensor and 5 bar tmap kit like the following....

https://www.independentmotorsports.com.au/ford-fg-fgx-xr6-barra-5-bar-map-sensor-kit

Tom Tucker is using a Haltech so doesn't use the tmap switchover like the stock pcm with a PCMTec custom OS does. As such for a stock pcm you would only use the Omni 5 bar tmap and disable the tmap switchover if you wanted to use a single sensor.

3 hours ago, Tom Tucker said:

The resolution refers to the number of cells below 0 manifold pressure that are available to input values against everything from fuel trim, ignition timing etc. The 4 bar would hunt around the smaller number of tuning cells, and consequently drove like arse. The Omni 5 bar has changed everything from idle, transient throttle, engine smoothness, ignition timing stability, fuel economy.

There is a little bit more resolution in the 5 bar tmap sensor and it is primarily right down the bottom, it measures -10psi vs -7psi for the 4 bar bosch tmap. It has a slightly more overall resolution as well. This is why it works better for the Haltech as it isn't a speed density based ecu and actually needs something that can measure down there. Ideally you would use a sensor that can measure down to -14.7psi as this covers the entire off boost section of the Haltech base maps. It isn't entirely necessary as decel vacuum will be more than idle vacuum so a single load cell column can do that job, as well as having dedicated decel parameters available. For now the 5 bar tmap has added 2 extra load cell columns (over a Bosch 4 bar tmap) and those 2 are the most commonly used around idle, decel and transient throttle and in particular a gearshift with a manual car. As far as the hunting issue goes there are other more likely reasons than resolution, but we're talking about a non issue now so there isn't much point discussing further.

You could dial in most of this extra room in the table in your driveway with the rear of the car on jack stands.

There's some info to help understand why things are things. Fwiw the Bosch 3 bar tmap/blue tmap is an even bigger pos than the Bosch 4 bar tmap.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 9d
1 hour ago, Puffwagon said:

As such for a stock pcm you would only use the Omni 5 bar tmap and disable the tmap switchover if you wanted to use a single sensor.

Gold, thanks man :VBBeer:

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Donating Members

Got fuel economy down to 20L/100km, which is a vast improvement.

Just completed a 400km road trip and it performed flawlessly.

Took the old man for a spin on the low boost setting - bit of a fright for a guy who normally drives around at 20km/h under the speed limit. 

I'm really happy with my turbo choice for this car. The G35-900 makes a great manual street car. I've got usable boost at 2000rpm, and it's never far away from frying tyres whenever required. 

I know I still owe footage - maybe in the new year!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Donating Members

Not much to report on this bad boy. I've moved to Canberra, and have been pretty busy. Everything seems to be working as it's supposed to, and the tune gets better and better with every drive.

Only thing I need is new tyres. Just have to work out the best semi slick option. ET Streets seem to be ridiculously expensive these days...

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 11m 28d

Can try that new hero brand out? Raiden Hero I think they're called

I've got AR-1's (nankang) and can't complain, but that is solely due to the fact I paid like $220 each. I'd be way more critical if I'd paid full retail on them I imagine. Even still, once they're warm, I'm getting all 400kw to the ground and it feels like a rocket. From a 2nd gear roll on the streets, tyres at 30-32 psi, I can leave traction control on and hardly see the light pop on the dash. Semi slicks are mad