Rattle noise

Adam187

• Member For: 4y 7m 20d

Hey guys was wondering if anyone could help me I'm getting this strange noise like a rattle while under load at low rpm.. it disappears after a sec or 2 and it's more prominent when cold almost sounds like the catalytic converter took to exhaust shop he couldn't hear anything and didn't check inside because catalytic is welded on any ideas ?

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

Automatic ??

Zf 6 speed. ?

Does the car hunt (revs vary) when it  happens ?

Edited by arronm

Stock  Fg xr6t automatic 150km na doesn't hunt revs only makes the sound as I'm building speed from take off for a few seconds then stops as I go faster

Exhaust could be touching something hard to tell or maybe gearbox issue first time owning a ford 

Edited by Adam187

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 2m 16d

If it doesn't increase or decrease with revs then hopefully its not rotating assembly.  Loose header bolts, maybe?  They will rattle the manifold at cold start coz of negative timing and disappear up in the revs.  Harmonics etc.  worth a look.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 10m 19d

in the day and age where every phone is a high powered video recorded, im still amassed people try to describe a noise using text.

Make a video / post to utube / link video here?

also I had a cat do a separate and it would rattle around at idle... but it was pretty much all idle, not just cold idle. whent he car was off if you tapped the cat you could hear it rattle. it was somewhat easy to diagnose.

if old mates had the car up on the hoist and reckons its not the cat, id half believe em cause its easy to test.

also if it is stock there not much chance the exhaust is touching, unless you have super bad engine mounts - then it would only touch things on high throttle loads.

usuallys its something like the xforce 4 inch dumps that rub

Edited by BeerTurbo

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

I had a rattle sound on a 6 speed XR 6 N/A I was working on last week. Would happen for a few seconds at about 1300rpm.  Once higher it would disappear.  After finding a minor amount of oil in the coolant header tank ( slight white sludge at the top) we have concluded the box has milkshaked and the noise is the converter  trying to lockup

Dead box.  To late. Car has done 153k

Edited by arronm

I'll check the coolant ..sorry but the sound ain't loud enough to hear through a phone mate while I'm driving ..can't hear the sound at idle 

Tested it again doesn’t happen in every gear or rev range only happens if I’m at about 50 with foot of acceleration then I’ll give it abit of gas you can hear the vibration if that helps??