Fg turbo ute rear knocking

Lithfkn

• Member For: 4y 8m 8d

So the cvs look fine and same with the centre bearing. I got someone to roll back and forward while looking under the car and the clunk is very audible from the left wheel area mostly. Not sure if theres something funky going on with the handbrake shoes clunking? I don't have any handbrake issues though. It operates fine!

I was watching the leaf springs closely too and it almost looks like they're slapping together on take off? Loading up quite alot. 

You can see in my pics above that the two plates that clamp together by the ubolts are firmly together. Is it possible that its still not getting tight enough and the plated aren't allowing it to tighten up more? I've seen standard ute springs and they seem to have a small leaf top and bottom and dont even have these plates. Plus the aftermarket kings leafs look like they have more leafs in the pack which would allow more clamping force which wouldn't allow the plated to bottom out?

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 2d

If you think it's a spring leaf problem, jack the car up prise the leafs apart & jam some plastic sheet in there & take it for a drive to see if the noise alters. At least you narrowed it down to what side it is!

• Like 1

So I wedged some bike rubber in between the front leafs and it still knocks.

I read elsewhere that the lsd clutch packs can knock on take off as they come together? People recommend changing the oil but I've done that and made no difference.

Completely lost on this now 😑

Was thinking about doing that. I'll have to find one to try out

I pulled the spare out and tried laying under it with a creeper while my old man slowly moved forward, he was a little iffy with the clutch work so gave up on the idea. Definite clunk from the wheel zone from the little chance I had while under there.

• Member For: 7y 11m 15d

Could possibly be stuffed axle bearings if its coming for the wheel area. Check for side to side play of the wheel hub by jacking up and pushing/pulling on the wheel.

Ute's are notorious for making noises, and they tend to come and go. I just turn the music up

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 4y 11m

I'm usually an advocate for ignoring strange noises but mine sounds and feels like the ass end is going to fall out when I take off after a good 30 mins or so of driving but perfect when cold