HOTXR6T

Fuel pump to empty tank?

I want to replace the fuel pump in my FG XR6T, but the tank is around half full. Is it possible to replace the fuel hose where it comes off the pump with a hose going into a jerry can and use the pump to drain the tank? I don't have time to drive around just to waste fuel. Or is there another way?

you can just bridge the relay for the fuel pump and pump straight out of a hose into your jerry can.

You would have to hot wire the pump as when you key on the pump will prime then stop.

You could probably disconnect the return line under the car and feed that into a jerry can with the engine running?

Edit: whoops Keith and I must have been typing at the same time!

Thanks.

1 hour ago, k31th said:

you can just bridge the relay for the fuel pump and pump straight out of a hose into your jerry can.

Why does the relay have to be bridged?

so that it transfers the electricity to the pump without the other source (ignition) that allows the relay to transfer the electricity to the pump in normal circumstances.

that's not a good idea! When you undo the fuel module the tank will empty to just under half with fuel going everywhere, bloody dangerous!

I’m not sure why, it’s a tank and the module comes out through an opening in the top. As you can see from my picture my tank was close to full and nothing happened. Disconnected the lines and pulled it out, fitted new module and reconnected the lines and no issues.

Yeah maybe I was lucky, I never read anywhere where it said to have 1/2 tank or less so I just parked it up and changed it out. When I could see the fuel level just below the opening I assumed it was close to full so it appears I was closer to 1/4 than full based on the shape of the tank.

9 minutes ago, Head said:

Hmmm, maybe.

or your car was on an incline or something caused the fuel to stay in one location :idunno:

11 hours ago, arronm said:

To change must be less than half on gauge. 1/4 is better.

Bellenderitous is correct for once 

anything past 2/3rds will piss fuel everywhere when undoing the retaining ring 

halfway is a great guide without issues 

Graeme if you’re not 100% certain I’ll happily do it for you ;) 

Thanks for the offer Aaron, I think I will be ok doing it, I just was not sure how low the fuel had to be. If I have any trouble, I will give you a call. I appreciate all your advice and help buying the parts. I started working on the car today, I want to do all the work that has to be done on the ramps first, because I won' be able to drive it up the ramps latter, till its tuned. I'm thinking of doing the pump while I have it on the ramps, to keep the fuel at the  back.

Thought I would post how I got on. I ended up removing the fuel filter under the passenger side of the car. I cut about 4 metres of a old garden hose and slid it over the pipe and twitched it on with wire, I put a plastic bowl under that to catch anything that blew past and the other end in a Jerry can that I could see from the front of the car. Then I followed K31th's advice and bridged the the fuel pump relay. I could hear the fuel pump start. It took about 5 minutes to pump out 20 litres.